"A Walk in the Countryside" Taipei Shih by yukisanto

Taipei Shih Travel Guide: 1,510 reviews and 4,111 photos

It is moments like this, that makes life interesting. I went to Yehliu grographical park, where I saw rocks eroded by the waves and wind to form quirky-shaped rocks.

To many people, perhaps, rocks are just rocks, and there's nothing much to see, but I'm a geography student. I grew up in an urban city, and coming face to face with the mountains and stuff I've learnt in lectures is certainly something for me. I spent about 2 hours at the park, taking pics all around (the place certainly does offer a lot of views) and examing the rocks. See my travelogue for more pics of this varied landscape - from sands to sea to greenery.

Getting to Yehliu geographical park wasn't that much of a challenge, mainly because I can speak Chinese. When I took the bus, i'll simply ask the driver to notify me when it was my stop. So I wasn't that afraid of getting lost in the countryside.

It took exactly 80mins and NT92 for a one way bus trip from Taipei Intercity Main Bus Terminal to yehliu. Bought the tickets at the bus terminal guoguang ticket counter on the day itself.

Jiufen

How we got there:
From Yehliu, we crossed the road to take the bus to Keelung. Cost us NT44 and after around 45min, we got off at the keelung Harbour. There's a building with Burger King and Starbucks here. Crossing over to the opposite side (there are 3 bus stops there), we looked for the bus-stop with the sign going to Jinguashi. Ride took us around 40min and cost NT44. The bus passed by the Ruifang train station and then upwards to Jiufen. Just before you reached the bus stop at the top of Jiufen mountain town, you will see a temple nestled in the side of the mountain, and you will pass by a rest stop. (that's the bus stop at the bottom of the jiufen town)

What we did:

Well, we didn't do much, just walked along the Old Street, bought this particular shop's local produce such as taiyang bing and pineapple tarts. T'was fresh made everyday, handmade too, and quite reasonable prices. Taiyang Bing at 10 for NT100 and Pineapple tart (the smaller one) at 24 for NT220. You can't find handmade fresh stuff in Taipei city, so we bought a lot from here. I've had comments from my colleague who ate it (i bought for her too) that it was exactly the same taste that she missed in her childhood. Seems I bought a very good deal. Should have bought more, but I can't carry so many. lol =P

Xinbeitou

Getting to this place was easy: take the subway to beitou, transfer train for xinbeitou. Get out of the station, walk straight ahead, cross the road, and up the mountain road, past the museum, turn right at the fork and voila, you reach a hot spring hotel. Turn left at the row of shops just beside the hotel and you reach the unassuming entrance of the Hell Valley park.

There's really nothing much there, to make ado about nothing. What you see, is what there is. We spent only half an hour there before we head off to the national palace museum.

• Last visit to Taipei Shih: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 15, 2006

Badges & Stats in Taipei Shih

Have you been to Taipei Shih?

Latest Activity in Taipei Shih