"As Close to Nature As It Gets" Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Lang Tengah by yukisanto

Pulau Lang Tengah Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 221 photos

A warm sun, not too hot. A sandy beach, soft and powdery. Clear waters, turquoise and teeming with fishes (and sea cucumbers, yikes!). Such a picturesque island, and it was to be my home for the next 3 days.

Disembarking onto the mini jetty, it struck me that the island was very much uninhabited. Nature very much dominated this island, with a thick jungle occuping most of the island space. The resorts dotted the shores (if there was a shore), and did not encroach inland. There were only 4 resorts on the island, and the one I was to stay was called Square Point Resort.

Living quarters were basic but adequate. Clean beds, heater shower, airconditioned room. We had a 3-bed room on the second floor of one of the lodges. No shower cream or soap, only a towel was provided. My only grip was that if I left the room light on in the evening when I was out of the room, there would be those flying insects around. Ants seem to creep out of nowhere as well when the weather was cold. But thankfully, as long as I was in the bed, no creepy crawlies would appear.

Food was fine but unimaginative. Beyond the 3 meals and tea-break, there wasn't anything else as well. Whenever we went to the eating area, it reminded me of a mess canteen, where everyone comes together to eat rationed food kind of feeling. (Although it was a buffet style)

Snorkelling formed the main basis of our existence on the island. There weren't other activities available. As I said, it was a really a back-to-basics kind of place. An island life, not resort life. There's no luxuries or modern amenities here. There was only the deck, with its chairs, if you want to contemplate while looking at the sea, or read a book and enjoy the breeze, and a sandy volleyball court.

We rented snorkelling gear (RM25) for the whole trip. Snorkelling in the waters close to the beach, we saw corals, sea cucumbers and fishes. I was so afraid I would bump into them! Further out, my friend saw clams, black-tipped reef sharks, more fishes, and even sea turtles. Wooah!

We also went to the Redang Marine Park (RM5). Supposedly, it was a place where there were more fishes and marine life. Well, on first glance, it felt like a swimming pool. So many people crowded together in this cornered off area of the sea.

Anyway, that was alright. We saw the fishes, yeah, but the corals there were mostly dead. Saw a black-tipped reef shark further away from the shore.

The one thing I found interesting was that the island was so small such that the ferry could only come in during high tide. At low tide, when we went out for snorkelling in the other part of the island, we had to take a sampan for transfer to the dive boat which was moored further out. That took up quite a bit of time, coz we were not the only ones at the resort. Imagine, it's like a large summer camp living, and everyone doing the same things at the same time.

I also remembered the lack of salty smell that usually marks the sea breeze. If you close your eyes and take a deep breath, you will not feel that you are at the seaside, because the air smells just too fresh.

Oh, and I think they use the seawater for cooking. The drinking water does taste a little saltish. Fortunately, we had brought along 2 full bottles of mineral water each per person to the island. Pity we didn't bring any snacks though.

• Last visit to Pulau Lang Tengah: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 18, 2006

Badges & Stats in Pulau Lang Tengah

Have you been to Pulau Lang Tengah?

Latest Activity in Pulau Lang Tengah