"UNESCO World Heritage Site Kassel" Top 5 Page for this destination Kassel by King_Golo
Kassel Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 222 photos
Kassel - ah, that's a place of fond memories to me. It's the city where I was born and spent my childhood and adolescence. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I know every part of Kassel, but I certainly know it better than any other place in the world. Probably, it's always like that with your hometown.
I have never considered Kassel to be an extraordinarily beautiful city, but since I left it almost a decade ago, it seems to become better and better... And in June 2013, the UNESCO granted Kassel's Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe world heritage status! If that is no reason to visit the city, then I can't help you!
62 % of Kassel's area are parks, forests or other green areas - which makes it one of the greenest cities in Germany. Kassel is well-known for its huge Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe with the number one sight Herkules and the cascades, as well as for the Karlsaue and the Fuldaaue - two parks in the city centre. The city is surrounded by the hilly forests Habichtswald and Reinhardswald, further east also the Kaufunger Wald. In some areas, the air is so good that they have actually been made a spa.
Kassel is also known for its numerous (and more often than not quite quirky) museums. For instance, there is a museum of tapestries and one of sepulchral culture. Another one features everything about fairytales and the Brothers Grimm - who lived in Kassel, by the way. Every five years, the world's biggest exhibition of contemporary art, the documenta, takes place in Kassel (next in 2017). The city then welcomes artists (and tourists!) from all over the world. Note that my documenta tips refer to the 2007 documenta. You won't find the pieces of art described in them anymore, but they may give you a general insight into this exhibition.
- Pros:one of the greenest cities in Germany
- Cons:Kassel is notorious for the "Rote Welle" - traffic lights seem to be always red!
- In a nutshell:UNESCO World Heritage and documenta city
Kassel's main claim to fame is the world's biggest exhibition of contemporary art, the documenta, which takes place... more travel advice
This is not so much a local custom, but rather a local food! Ahle Wurscht is as typical for Kassel as the gingerbread is... more travel advice
King_Golo's Related Pages
Kassel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "UNESCO World Heritage Site Kassel"
- "Opera in Kassel"
- "Hercules is watching you"
- "Kassel, Hesse, Germany"
- "Kassel & Arolsen"
- "Welcome to KASSEL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kassel
- Hotels in Kassel
- Transportation in Kassel
- Nightlife in Kassel
- Restaurants in Kassel
- Shopping in Kassel
- Warnings and Dangers in Kassel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kassel
- 18 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Kassel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kassel
Photos in KasselSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 63 reviews, 123 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chemnitz Intro, 45 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cornwall Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rügen Intro, 24 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 20 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 25 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue