"UNESCO World Heritage Site Kassel" Top 5 Page for this destination Kassel by King_Golo

Kassel Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 233 photos

Kassel - ah, that's a place of fond memories to me. It's the city where I was born and spent my childhood and adolescence. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I know every part of Kassel, but I certainly know it better than any other place in the world. Probably, it's always like that with your hometown.
I have never considered Kassel to be an extraordinarily beautiful city, but since I left it almost a decade ago, it seems to become better and better... And in June 2013, the UNESCO granted Kassel's Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe world heritage status! If that is no reason to visit the city, then I can't help you!

62 % of Kassel's area are parks, forests or other green areas - which makes it one of the greenest cities in Germany. Kassel is well-known for its huge Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe with the number one sight Herkules and the cascades, as well as for the Karlsaue and the Fuldaaue - two parks in the city centre. The city is surrounded by the hilly forests Habichtswald and Reinhardswald, further east also the Kaufunger Wald. In some areas, the air is so good that they have actually been made a spa.
Kassel is also known for its numerous (and more often than not quite quirky) museums. For instance, there is a museum of tapestries and one of sepulchral culture. Another one features everything about fairytales and the Brothers Grimm - who lived in Kassel, by the way. Every five years, the world's biggest exhibition of contemporary art, the documenta, takes place in Kassel (next in 2017). The city then welcomes artists (and tourists!) from all over the world. Note that my documenta tips refer to the 2007 documenta. You won't find the pieces of art described in them anymore, but they may give you a general insight into this exhibition.

• Pros:one of the greenest cities in Germany
  • Cons:Kassel is notorious for the "Rote Welle" - traffic lights seem to be always red!
  • In a nutshell:UNESCO World Heritage and documenta city
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2014

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Very useful tips, thanks!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 2:13 PM

The green landscape is so wonderful and preserved parks so people can enjoy them. The art exhibit must have been a great experience to see modern aspect. Kansas City has an art institute teaching this. You did a great job of showing and describing Kassel.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 7:49 AM

Kassel was always an interesting place for me to visit - my ex-wife's family came from here and Bad Homberg. Your tips give the prospective visitor a running start!

• IceBear7's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2008 at 12:23 AM

ich fand den weihnachtsmarkt in kassel immer schoen. aber der hauptgrund fuer einen besuch war meistens ganz einfach ikea ;-)

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2007 at 9:41 PM

Interesting page. I have been to Documenta many years ago. Kassel looks very nice.

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2007 at 8:36 AM

Nice page! Ich hoffe irgendwann schaffe ich es mal, Kassel zu besuchen - und nicht nur mit dem Zug durchzufahren!

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 8:51 AM

Now my neck is painful cause I have to turn to see that picture of yours!!! Great pictures and tips. I never been to this part of Germany. :-)

• Gosia78's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2006 at 6:48 AM

Very nice Kassel page, I was waiting for it :-) and great Herkules picture ;-) greetings from sunny Poland!

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2005 at 11:15 AM

...also I haven't been to Kassel. Like your Hercules tip! Guess I some time check it out.

• mapakettle's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2005 at 8:04 AM

Thanks for the kind words on my home page. Interesting reading about the aqueduct. Pa

King_Golo Was Born Here!

King_Golo

“A rolling stone gathers no moss”

Badges & Stats in Kassel