"Oh Tartu Town!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu by King_Golo
Tartu Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 517 photos
Oh Tartu town!
What a wonderful place this is: a precious gem located in the south of Eestimaa! Tartu, Estonia's second biggest town (about 100,000 inhabitants) is about 180 km southeast of Tallinn. Its centre is full of fine classicist houses gathered around Raekoja Plats (the townhall square). Close by is River Emajogi, and at its banks you can have a nice hike or (if courageous enough) even a swim.
Tartu is a town full of history and home to one of the Baltic's oldest universities. Many famous Estonians are from Tartu. But to me, it's far more than that: I lived in Tartu for half a year and I do not exaggerate by saying that this was the best time of my life. I remember dazzling white snow freshly fallen between the old trees on Toomemägi... the smell of bonfires sending sparks into the sky at Emajogi beach... the bustling atmosphere of a young town full of students... my short but intensive career as a choir singer in Tartu Muusikakool and the concerts our choir gave... the spooky atmosphere of the snow-covered graveyard we went to on Estonia's national holiday to honour Estonia's heroes... the blossoms of thousands of lilac bushes... the friendliness of Estonians... attempting to learn their beautiful language which has created words with as many as seven vowels in a row: Hauaööoudused!
Everything makes me want to come back as soon as possible! Hopefully, I'll be able to re-visit Eesti soon!
- Pros:lovely atmosphere, young people, open-minded town
- Cons:the late winter climate
- In a nutshell:The gem of Estonia
Wilde and Vilde were writers - the former Oscar Wilde was Irish, the latter Eduard Vilde was Estonian. For whatever... more travel advice
Toomemägi is home to a number of (smaller) sights - statues, lookout places, the park. The most interesting among all of... more travel advice
Written May 22, 2006
Coming back once more
Written Apr 15, 2006
King_Golo's Related Pages
Tartu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CITY OF THE CATS"
- "Oh Tartu Town!"
- "The town of students"
- "Tartu - University With A Town"
- "Tartu - oldest Estonian university town"
- "Tartu Town"
- "Tartu - Estonia's Second City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tartu
- Hotels in Tartu
- Transportation in Tartu
- Nightlife in Tartu
- Restaurants in Tartu
- Shopping in Tartu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tartu
- 21 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Tartu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tartu
Photos in TartuSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 63 reviews, 123 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chemnitz Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cornwall Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 20 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Liverpool Intro, 22 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues