"Oh Tartu Town!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu by King_Golo

Tartu Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 517 photos

Oh Tartu town!
What a wonderful place this is: a precious gem located in the south of Eestimaa! Tartu, Estonia's second biggest town (about 100,000 inhabitants) is about 180 km southeast of Tallinn. Its centre is full of fine classicist houses gathered around Raekoja Plats (the townhall square). Close by is River Emajogi, and at its banks you can have a nice hike or (if courageous enough) even a swim.

Tartu is a town full of history and home to one of the Baltic's oldest universities. Many famous Estonians are from Tartu. But to me, it's far more than that: I lived in Tartu for half a year and I do not exaggerate by saying that this was the best time of my life. I remember dazzling white snow freshly fallen between the old trees on Toomemägi... the smell of bonfires sending sparks into the sky at Emajogi beach... the bustling atmosphere of a young town full of students... my short but intensive career as a choir singer in Tartu Muusikakool and the concerts our choir gave... the spooky atmosphere of the snow-covered graveyard we went to on Estonia's national holiday to honour Estonia's heroes... the blossoms of thousands of lilac bushes... the friendliness of Estonians... attempting to learn their beautiful language which has created words with as many as seven vowels in a row: Hauaööoudused!

Everything makes me want to come back as soon as possible! Hopefully, I'll be able to re-visit Eesti soon!

• Pros:lovely atmosphere, young people, open-minded town
  • Cons:the late winter climate
  • In a nutshell:The gem of Estonia
  • Last visit to Tartu: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2014

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Ich habe nur ein paar Tipps gelesen, muss nächstes Mal weiterlesen. Gute Arbeit bis jetzt...

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Hello Golo! How are things? Where is your next adventure taking you? I'm off to Montreal, Canada in a few weeks! I'm looking forward to the French cuisine! Take care!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Love that leaning house that's about to crash...Tartu seems to be a small town with a lot of character! Thanks for sharing, King Golo! Norman :)

• timada's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Nice town Tartu ! Your photos are wonderful!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Nice job!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 2:27 AM

I wouldn't pass throught that bridge! Ciao!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2007 at 1:46 AM

Nice tips and travelogues about Tartu and the Emajogi, and the Suudlevad Tudengid. Tartu sounds like one of the best student towns in the whole Maailm.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2006 at 11:43 AM

Seems you enjoyed Tartu! I would like to visit this city someday, to make a daytrip from, lets say, Tallinn.

• SapineKuu's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 3:33 PM

Hi Golo, Thanks for your comments on my Tallinn page. Enjoyed your Tartu page so much I will be adding it to my list of places to visit:)

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2006 at 6:12 AM

Interesting information about a place I don't know at all. I'd love to spend a little time in that bookshop. Thanks for your visit. Greetings, Diana

King_Golo Used To Live Here!

King_Golo

“A rolling stone gathers no moss”

Badges & Stats in Tartu