"Oh Tartu Town!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu by King_Golo

Tartu Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 538 photos

Oh Tartu town!
What a wonderful place this is: an immediately lovable small town in southern Estonia. Tartu, Estonia's second biggest town (about 100,000 inhabitants) is about 180 km southeast of Tallinn. Its centre is full of fine classicist houses gathered around Raekoja Plats (the townhall square). Close by is River Emajogi, and at its banks you can have a nice hike or (if courageous enough) even a swim.

Tartu is a town full of history and home to one of the Baltic's oldest universities. Many famous Estonians are from Tartu. But to me, it's far more than that: I lived in Tartu for half a year and I do not exaggerate by saying that this was the best time of my life. I remember dazzling white snow freshly fallen between the old trees on Toomemägi... the smell of bonfires sending sparks into the sky at Emajogi beach... the bustling atmosphere of a young town full of students... my short but intensive career as a choir singer in Tartu Muusikakool and the concerts our choir gave... the spooky atmosphere of the nighttime graveyard we went to on Estonia's national holiday to honour Estonia's heroes... the blossoms of thousands of lilac bushes... the friendliness of Estonians... attempting to learn their beautiful language which has created words with as many as seven vowels in a row: Hauaööõudused!

Everything makes me want to come back as soon as possible! Hopefully, I'll be able to re-visit Eesti soon!
Meanwhile, you can get a first glimpse of Tartu by looking at my tips on this page, you can get to know interesting places nearby, such as Tallinn, Pärnu or Võru - or you can visit the randomly chosen next destination of your virtual tour through my pages.

• Pros:lovely atmosphere, young people, open-minded town
  • Cons:the late winter climate
  • In a nutshell:The gem of Estonia
  • Last visit to Tartu: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Interesting page, I would be curious to listen to a Wild and Vilde conversation

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
      Oct 3, 2015 at 1:06 AM

That would be interesting indeed. I would love to meet Oscar Wilde, but unfortunately he's been dead for quite a long time already...

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2015 at 9:11 AM

I am in Tartu right now and I really like the town. Greetings from the Eduard Bildet Restaurant.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Ich habe nur ein paar Tipps gelesen, muss nächstes Mal weiterlesen. Gute Arbeit bis jetzt...

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Hello Golo! How are things? Where is your next adventure taking you? I'm off to Montreal, Canada in a few weeks! I'm looking forward to the French cuisine! Take care!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Love that leaning house that's about to crash...Tartu seems to be a small town with a lot of character! Thanks for sharing, King Golo! Norman :)

• timada's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Nice town Tartu ! Your photos are wonderful!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2007 at 1:40 PM

Nice job!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 2:27 AM

I wouldn't pass throught that bridge! Ciao!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2007 at 1:46 AM

Nice tips and travelogues about Tartu and the Emajogi, and the Suudlevad Tudengid. Tartu sounds like one of the best student towns in the whole Maailm.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2006 at 11:43 AM

Seems you enjoyed Tartu! I would like to visit this city someday, to make a daytrip from, lets say, Tallinn.

King_Golo Used To Live Here!

King_Golo

“A rolling stone gathers no moss”

Badges & Stats in Tartu