"The Gown Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford by King_Golo
Oxford Travel Guide: 965 reviews and 2,036 photos
More or less everybody will have heard of Oxford, that almost mythical city in the heart of England, home to almost 40 colleges of which most are several hundred years old, home to brilliant scientists and bizarre traditions - and from 2009 to 2013 my home as well.
I had moved here in order to teach German to 6 colleges, but I quickly found that the colleges are hiding much more behind their high walls and gates than just super-intelligent students and a few of the world's best academics. More often than not one will learn about a tradition or ritual that is so weird that nobody except an Oxford person could have come up with it. Find out more about that by reading my "Oxford Absurdities" travelogue or my tips.
Oxford is one of those places that you think you know well only to discover something new (and often unexpected) every other day. I was constantly coming across new exciting places or traditions. It is hard to actually rank Oxford's sights as there is so much to see or do for even the most demanding visitors, but I have tried nonetheless. Here are my personal Oxford Top 10:
1. Relaxing in Exeter's Fellow's Garden, Oxford's best-kept open secret
2. Walking along Addison's Walk in Magdalen College on a bright autumn day
3. Climbing the tower of St. Mary the Virgin on a late afternoon with the soft light illuminating the city's most beautiful buildings underneath you
4. Browsing through the millions of books in Blackwell's
5. A pint or two in one of the city's pubs steeped in tradition
6. The labyrinth of nice shops and cafes in the Covered Market
7. A walk around Christ Church Meadow
8. Walking downstream along the Thames from Folly Bridge to Iffley Lock and having lunch and a cider at "The Isis Farmhouse"
9. An early morning or nighttime stroll through New College Lane
10. Oxford's best-known college, Christ Church
My pages will be updated quite regularly and I hope that they can be helpful to visitors. Best to check them once in a while to see what new contents I have uploaded. In case you're planning an Oxford visit, don't hesitate to contact me for more information.
For some general historic information or two proposed itineraries, check the general tips section. For more pictures, check my travelogues.
- Pros:Incredibly many things to do, wonderful atmosphere, nice people
- Cons:Horrible traffic, hordes of tourists in summer
- In a nutshell:Simply and purely a great place!
Whichever means of transport you choose to get around Oxford, it can be a nuisance. Going by car is by far the worst... more travel advice
This might not be something that the average Oxford visitor does, but it's definitely worth it: see one of the world's... more travel advice
- See All Eat Like a Hero
- See All Far from the Madding Crowd
- See All Oxford in three days - an itinerary
- Hop-on-hop-off Tours
King_Golo's Related Pages
Oxford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oxford Stories"
- "The Gown Town"
- "A home in Oxford"
- "The Oxford Story"
- "City of Dreaming Spires"
- "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxford
- Hotels in Oxford
- Transportation in Oxford
- Nightlife in Oxford
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Shopping in Oxford
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oxford
- 63 Reviews
- 123 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Oxford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxford
Photos in OxfordSee All Photos (123)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 63 reviews, 123 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chemnitz Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cornwall Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 20 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Liverpool Intro, 22 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues