"Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon" Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi by King_Golo
Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,746 reviews and 6,065 photos
Hanoi is THE place to be in Vietnam. As soon as you get there, you'll be fascinated by the hustling and bustling that awaits you in every corner of the city: hectic markets where everything from pork feet to the freshest and tastiest fruit can be purchased, millions of motorbikes zigzagging through the overcrowded roads, faithful Buddhists lighting incense sticks in tranquil pagodas and temples, the smell of fried meat from one of the countless food stalls mixing with the exhaust fumes of the traffic and the tantalising smell of herbs from an old-fashioned pharmacy. And inbetween everything, tourists are standing on the sidewalk in fearful anticipation, wondering how anyone can be able to cross a road like that without being overrun by the traffic... Welcome to Hanoi, the City of the Soaring Dragon!
I lived in Hanoi for 6 months and made the most of my stay. Apart from visiting the city's beautiful and interesting sights (see my tips for more), I also attempted to see its back streets and hidden alleys. Curiously, I strolled through narrow passage ways, took photographs of minuscule street markets, bartered for silk in order to have some shirts tailored and tried food as weird as snake skin spring rolls and something that tasted like and had the structure of rubber - it might have been some obscure inner part of an animal. I had a lot of fun riding my motorbike through what must be the world's most chaotic traffic, but I also took the chance and explored the villages around Hanoi. Only a few kilometres away, the city has disappeared and you find yourself in banana plantations or rice paddies, among the curious children of a local school or in a steel bar factory where there are no safety measures whatsoever.
It is this mixture of unique experiences that made my 6-month stay the best time of my life. I might romanticize my stay there in retrospective, I might see some parts of it through rose-tinted glasses, but I definitely had a great time. Consequently, I believe I can be quite helpful if you have any rather untouristy questions. If you are to live in this beautiful and literally breathtaking city, do as I did and make the most of your stay. Leave the tourist paths and explore the city's hidden corners. And if you come as a tourist - well, just do the same! Extend your stay to a week and start exploring.
- Pros:exotic markets everywhere, tranquil pagodas, buzzing street life
- Cons:smog, noise, dangerous traffic
- In a nutshell:THE place to be in Vietnam!
Dau Go Cave is the greatest cave I've ever seen in my life. It's gigantic, it's full of the most incredible stalagmites... more travel advice
Cat Ba Island is not only good for trekking, it's also the major beach spot in Halong Bay. The best place to go to if... more travel advice
- See All Coco Loco
- See All Tran Quoc Pagoda
- See All Little Hanoi's BFS
- See All Nice and quiet guesthouse
- See All Food!
- See All Dancing in Lenin Park
King_Golo's Related Pages
Hanoi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !"
- "Good morning Hanoi !"
- "Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
- "Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds"
- "MY 1ST STOP IN VIETNAM WAS......................."
- "Ignoring Hanoi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanoi
- Hotels in Hanoi
- Transportation in Hanoi
- Nightlife in Hanoi
- Restaurants in Hanoi
- Shopping in Hanoi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hanoi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanoi
- 72 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Hanoi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanoi
- Posted in Travel Hanoi Forum "Re: How would you spend 4 days..."
- Commented on one of King_Golo's Hanoi tips
- updated a Hanoi Travel Page "Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
- Wrote a Review Halong Bay - Dau Go Cave about Out of Hanoi-Halong Bay in Hanoi Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Halong Bay - Dau Go Cave"
Photos in HanoiSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 63 reviews, 123 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chemnitz Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cornwall Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 20 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Liverpool Intro, 22 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues