"Where England Ends" Cornwall by King_Golo

Cornwall Travel Guide: 1,958 reviews and 5,372 photos

Cornwall is England's southwesternmost region. Surrounded by the sea from almost all sides, it makes for an ideal holiday destination and can become rather crowded in summer. Fortunately, there is so much to discover off the beaten paths that it is absolutely no problem to avoid the crowds. And even more fortunately, the majority of roads in Cornwall are too narrow for coaches anyway!

Cornwall is incredibly diverse. You can find bronze-age stone circles amidst the heath, tiny coves with picturesque fishing ports, lovely hills and dales with cattle grazing on the slopes, but also some bigger places with a good selection of restaurants and bars or even an art scene that is alive and kicking (in St. Ives) - all within a radius of 10km!

Most obvious, however, is the sea. It has forever shaped the coastline (and will continue so), creating some of the country's most dramatic landscapes with steep cliffs that are constantly under attack by vicious waves. This alone would be worth the effort getting to Cornwall - and due to the always different character of the coast, it never gets boring.

Have a look at my numerous Cornwall tips, virtually visit nearby places like Woolacombe or the two national parks Dartmoor NP and Exmoor NP - or continue your tour through my pages here!

• Pros:Incredibly diverse landscape, lots of things to see and do
  • Cons:Roads are sometimes very narrow - be careful!
  • In a nutshell:One of England's most beautiful regions
  • Last visit to Cornwall: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Travelogues (1)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2016 at 6:43 AM

what a great main pic of Lizard pic and what a great page! i am just a week back from a few days around Cornwall and 10 days or so in Devon enroute to my must dos in Cornwall - after moving to the UK in 2000 and adding about 60 countries to my belt from around the world i still had not seen Cornwall other than Tintagel! (yes even Tuttlingen about 10 or more times too lol!) and had a lovely time! but i dont usually have to rely on trains and buses as ive always had the 'luxury' or enhancement of having a rental car to get to all the nooks and crannies when out and about - this time had to yield to the restrictions of planning around having a too heavy suitcase. i didnt even get to Lands end but i did get to my other must dos such as Michaels Mount and St Ives and Pendennis - i loved Polperro and very happy with the intro for my next more indepth trip when i have a uk licence and can rent a car :)

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Thanks for the praise and the ratings! To me, Cornwall is among the loveliest places I've seen in my life. I secretly dream about buying a house on a Cornish cliff, but the price is way too high!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2016 at 5:22 PM

Thanks for the excellent coverage of Cornwall! I've always wanted to come here, but with England being so expensive for us to visit, we decided to cut it out when we did come to England.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:41 AM

So low already?! I was in England in late September and it was somewhere around 1.15 Euros then.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Oct 16, 2016 at 11:38 PM

We still only get 0.62 british pence to our $1 Australian. The euro to pound exchange rate is good.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Excellent Cornwall page! I'm really looking forward to visit Cornwall in April and do some hiking along the coast path.

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:19 AM

I'm getting jealous! The Coast Path is one of England's most beautiful parts, and I'd really love to go back there.

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Apart from visiting relative in Cornwall,it's a long time since I went to some of these places. It is a beautiful county, just a shame it's so over priced. Lovely pages.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Oct 16, 2016 at 6:47 AM

Hi Margaret i totally agree! the prices for accommodation are horrendous! to think i moaned and carried on, as well as beat off being heckled by others for choosing to have 2 months of expenses driving around Norway last year, about accomm prices in Norway - the prices around Devon and Cornwall were around the same or more than Norway!! some were just a plain rip off. and its so much cheaper down there to buy land and real estate. Food and entrance fees to attractions were normal - its the accommodation. the train pass 71 pounds for 8 days out of 15 is an absolute bargain!

“A rolling stone gathers no moss”

Badges & Stats in Cornwall

Have you been to Cornwall?

Latest Activity in Cornwall