"Battambang - the town, that awakes at rush hour" Top 5 Page for this destination Battambang by King_Golo

Battambang Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 698 photos

Located in Northwest Cambodia, Battambang is a nice small town of some 100,000 people although you do not really realize that. It's a typical small town: not too many obvious sights, but some hidden ones that you will be glad afterwards to have discovered them. Battambang's vicinity is one of the most beautiful areas in Northwest Cambodia - it's hard to describe, but it came pretty near to my image of Southeast Asian countryside... To the north, you'll see little villages hidden in the forest, giant banana leaves preventing them from too curious looks. To the south, the landscape looks like a savanna, especially during the dry season. A tour to Phnom Sampeau, 25km away from Battambang, will provide you with very scenic views. Coming back to Battambang, don't miss the many wats scattered all over town. Although Battambang is pretty quiet and dull, it gets almost hectic in the evening: during rush hour (at 6pm), motobikes zigzag across the central place at the market hall, stopping suddenly to start bargaining over some fresh fruit or vegetables... Battambang is the town that awakes during evening rush hour!

• Pros:beautiful wats, scenic vicinity
  • Cons:rather dull sometimes
  • In a nutshell:The Rush Hour Effect (TM)
  • Last visit to Battambang: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 16, 2011

• picek's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Lovely photos here and helpful tips. Our tuk tuk driver took us to the tree with bats, they hanged like jackfruits from the branches. Otherwise we loved countryside here and wats, although we were first worried about KR sediments.

• Mar 18, 2007 at 2:35 AM

“The killing field is a horrible experience - the skulls of the dead are kept as a memorial.” I agree with your assertion to the fullest.

• steevie_wanders's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 8:39 AM

You have some great photos! I especially like the battambang off the beaten path photo. Very informative pages too. S.E. Asia is amazing. I think i could easily spend the rest of my travels just visiting there.. :)

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 5:31 AM

Wow... truly outstanding page on Battambang.

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2006 at 5:33 AM

I don't think my back would survive that trip down the dry river bed! Your rush hour pic is gorgeous! Lesley

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 6:11 PM

And I thought I did the river trip in the dry season! Priceless countryside photo under off the beaten paths, King and a priceless story too.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2005 at 4:51 AM

Great to read you Battambang page ! We also explored the area by motobike. It was one of the most interesting experiences of my trip to Cambodia. So was the boattrip from Siem Reap... outside the dry season !

• Oct 23, 2005 at 5:17 AM

Hehe, thanks for visiting my Tartu page -but Tartu2005's was way better and it's a shame it's gone. Back to Tartu, is that a bad or good thing? Good luck anyway!:o) Your pages are great - "a hat to preserve your original hair colour" -I like that one!!:o)

King_Golo

“A rolling stone gathers no moss”

Badges & Stats in Battambang

Have you been to Battambang?