"Chemnitz - a city in transition" Top 5 Page for this destination Chemnitz by King_Golo
Chemnitz Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 580 photos
Chemnitz was my home for 9 years - I studied and worked there. It's a city of some 240,000 inhabitants located at the north rim of the Ore Mountains. Chemnitz belongs to the German bundesland (i.e. state) of Saxony - prepare for the most complicated dialect of German that you've ever heard! ;-)
Basically an industrial city, moulded by long times of machine and tool production and completely destroyed in the World War II, Chemnitz nowadays faces new tasks. With most of the factories gone, the city focuses on different things There's a university of roughly 10,000 students, a lively city centre that has changed its looks completely several times in the last ten years, pieces of art at every corner and much more. However, its industrial heritage is still visible in many places. One of them is the renowned Museum of Industry which is a must-see in Chemnitz.
Chemnitz is not the most beautiful place in the world, but it's well worth a visit. Unfortunately, the official city marketing tries to reinvent Chemnitz every second year instead of focusing on its tried and tested qualities. Where can you find the world's largest Karl Marx head? - In Chemnitz. Where can you see 290,000,000 year old trees? - In Chemnitz. Where can you visit Germany's biggest connected quarter of art nouveau and early 20th century houses? - In Chemnitz. Moreover, there are some interesting museums, some great cultural venues (such as the Weltecho cultural centre) and many other things to discover. Give Chemnitz a chance - you won't regret it!
- Pros:Lots of things to discover if you give the city a chance
- Cons:Ugly communist blocks almost everywhere
- In a nutshell:A city in transition
Easily one of the most beautiful sights of Chemnitz: Wasserschloss Klaffenbach. The castle was built in Renaissance... more travel advice
Chemnitz is home to a very rare species: The city still has a watchman! Watchmen were common in the Middle Ages and... more travel advice
King_Golo's Related Pages
Chemnitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chemnitz - a city in transition"
- "Chemnitz - City of Modernism"
- "Chemnitz - Karl-Marx-Stadt - Chemnitz"
- "Karl-Marx-Stadt --> Chemnitz"
- "Chemnitz, Saxony - Germany"
- "Bonios lunch stop in Chemnitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chemnitz
- Hotels in Chemnitz
- Transportation in Chemnitz
- Nightlife in Chemnitz
- Restaurants in Chemnitz
- Shopping in Chemnitz
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chemnitz
- 46 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Chemnitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chemnitz
Photos in ChemnitzSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 63 reviews, 123 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chemnitz Intro, 46 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cornwall Intro, 27 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- Angkor Wat Intro, 20 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Liverpool Intro, 22 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Chemnitz hotel reviews
- Hotel Saechsischer Hof
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2011