"Spending an afternoon at the police station..." Zwickau by King_Golo

Zwickau Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 418 photos

Zwickau is a weird place! The first time I went there, it was raining all the time and nearly as cold as in Siberia. Nevertheless, my family and me spent some time there and discovered by coincidence one of the world's largest doors (see picture below!).
The second time I went there, the sun was shining and people were just opening their food stalls as it was the weekend of the Zwickau "Stadtfest" (i.e. city festival). Everything seemed to promise a wonderful and funny day for the students of the 34th International Summer Course at Chemnitz University of Technology and me. However, having been in town for like 10 minutes, an Italian girl's wallet was stolen out of her pocket by some sneaky thief. The result: the Italian girl and me spent the rest of the afternoon at the local police station... And that is certainly something that you do not want to experience during your holiday!!!

Here's the reason: Zwickau policemen seem to enjoy telling you their worst, cruelest and most abhorrent adventure tales from their job! I now know of like 25 ways how to rape innocent girls in discotheques or where to get the best drugs from Saxony! Just imagine the situation: Two policemen telling you this stuff, one stressed teacher (me) who actually only planned to have some fun in Zwickau and an Italian girl who's close to crying because she's just lost nearly everything...
I'd say: award them the SPECIAL PRIZE FOR EMPATHY IN SITUATIONS OF CRISIS!

Well, apart from this unfortunate incident we DID spend a nice time in Zwickau. Check out my few tips for more!
PS: I really would have loved to build a more complete Zwickau page, but the police kept me busy for 1 1/2 hours!

• Pros:nice town
  • Cons:never made to see it properly...
  • In a nutshell:Don't visit the police station!
  • Last visit to Zwickau: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 24, 2007

• Jun 7, 2011 at 3:54 AM

pickpockets are all over the world !

• sylina's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 2:55 AM

Sorry for what you had gone through in Zwickau.. a girl fren of mine studied in Zwickau (the one showed me Herrenberg and Tuebingen!!) I got a tourist book from her of the city. Looks like another nice town I should visit next time.. :)

King_Golo

“A rolling stone gathers no moss”

Badges & Stats in Zwickau

Have you been to Zwickau?

Latest Activity in Zwickau