"Picking Up In Tacoma" Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma by coneyislandgreen
Tacoma Travel Guide: 205 reviews and 623 photos
I have lived here in Tacoma for a little over a year now and believe it's time to write something about it. I'm not from here so it 's been brand new to me and since I'm a bit of a traveller I have had ample opportunity to seek out different nooks and crannies. I learned from others that Tacoma has a bad reputation and many Aliases like Tacompton, The Armpit of Washington, and it's famous Tacoma Aroma.
Just like any other place Tacoma has it's nice places and not so nice places. It's a city that is crawling out of the woodwork and years of urban decay. With the rising cost of living in Seattle and other places slowly people are migrating here, investing in affordable housing, opening businesses, attending school.
Tacoma at Times feels more like a group of neighborhoods, independant, meager, each with a few things to offer but nothing that screams excitement. To our famous northern neighbors Tacoma is the annoying middle child with no outlook or goals just resting between the cultural, elaborate, Seattle and Calm, good natured, Olympia. Tacoma is Industrial and blue collar, it is also military but when you stray off I-5 and wander north into it's neighborhoods you see we like Parks, Coffee bars, Breweries, Music Venues, and Restaruants just as much as any other place in the state of our Union.
Tacoma is not so bad, This city affords me the opportunity to live comfortably in a decent neighborhood with numerous outlets for entertainment and culture on an average scale. What makes it interesting is the question of what is in store for this town and city. Will it faulter and fall into decay once more? Will it continue to thrive at a steady pace slowly becoming a cultural magnet? What will it take for this to occur? What will happen if it does? These are very real questions in town at the moment.
More often in the year I've been here I met locals who are proud and determined to keep Tacoma alive and growing, creating reform, spreading good word about their town, telling you of new things to do and places to see. So with that I will tell what I know and learned so far here in Tacoma for you.
- Pros:Lots of free parking
- Cons:Desolate city at night
- In a nutshell:A very underrated place...
A new venue for good talks is the Satellite Coffee House. It's located above Supernova salon/ tattoo and Tricky's... more travel advice
This place saved me from my first year of loneliness and rain... A great, the best around, genuine to character movie... more travel advice
- See All 3 to 8 happy hour is almost...
- See All Tacoma's Art Walk
- See All Art Walk
- See All Luxury Stay in the heart of our new...
coneyislandgreen's Related Pages
Tacoma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""City of Destiny" on South Puget Sound"
- "Picking Up In Tacoma"
- "Tacoma, Seattle's Neighbor to the South"
- "Tacoma (T-town!)"
- "Tacoma? I do miss it!"
- "Tacoma.......it ain't Seattle South!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tacoma
- Hotels in Tacoma
- Transportation in Tacoma
- Nightlife in Tacoma
- Restaurants in Tacoma
- Shopping in Tacoma
- Warnings and Dangers in Tacoma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tacoma
- 34 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Tacoma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tacoma
- Uploaded a Photo to "Not in Tacoma but just an hours drive..."
- Wrote a Review Not just another coffee house... in Tacoma Restaurants
- Posted in Travel Panama Forum "Re: Tourist Card Requirements."
- updated a Tacoma Travelogue "The Origional Galloping Gertie"
- Commented on one of KenBel's Tacoma travel pages
Photos in TacomaSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bend Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Queens Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Maui Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Victoria 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Steilacoom Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Portland Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Andros Island Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Vancouver Island 4 reviews, 12 photos
- La Paz 3 reviews, 11 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Tacoma hotel reviews
- Royal Coachman Inn
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013
- Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma
- 153 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott Tacoma Downtown
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- King Oscar Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2012
- Crossland Tacoma Hosmer
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Hampton Inn & Suites Tacoma - South
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- Days Inn North Fife
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 31, 2013
- Hotel Murano
- 595 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Suites Tacoma
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- Best Western Tacoma Dome Hotel
- 158 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013