"Andros Island, Bahamas" Andros Island by coneyislandgreen
Andros Island Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 15 photos
Andros Island is not a tourist destination in a sense. It's more for the native Bahamians a place to live and for the occasional adventurous tourist a place to fish or scuba. It hails itself as the bone fishing capital of the world and also has the third largest barrier reef as well. While the other islands bank on heavy tourism Andros island ships them fresh water from it's vast inland.
The largest and least explored of all the Bahamas when you land you feel a slowness of character after the aerial view of a unexplored vastness. The landing strip is small, the international arrival building is also a small yellow room and although there are plenty of places to eat and drink they are probably someones house who will treat it as a pub if it means some extra money. There is not much money on Andros but the untouched beaches and normal everyday people, about 9,000, on the island make it a unique and rewarding place to be in the world.
Andros is blessed with natural wonders. A blue hole, many are sometimes shallow and blue or deep and green. They are formed from sinking sand and the coral life conitnues to thrive in them even inland because Andros is so shallow it was once under the water. Most life is on the east coast of Andros and much of it is untouched leaving pristine place to seek and find. There are nice family owned motels and lodges for anyone visiting Andros and the food from anyone of the locals places is fantastic like their conk fritters, a big snail from a conk shell dipped in spicy batter and fryed into puffy breads rounds.
One of the nicer establishments in Fresh Creek on Andros Island. This is a Hotel, Yacht Club, Bar and Restaurant. The... more travel advice
When the wind is not blowing by the beaches the no-see-ums are relentless if you do not have any protection. In evening... more travel advice
coneyislandgreen's Related Pages
Andros Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andros Island, Bahamas"
- "ANDROS Island"
- "Andros Island - No tourists, just sand and water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andros Island
- Nightlife in Andros Island
- Restaurants in Andros Island
- Shopping in Andros Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Andros Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andros Island
- 5 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Andros Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andros Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bend Intro, 9 reviews, 24 photos
- Queens Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Maui Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Victoria 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Steilacoom Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Portland Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Andros Island Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
- Vancouver Island 4 reviews, 12 photos
- La Paz 3 reviews, 11 photos
No friends yet.