"Part Of The Grand Circle...." Goosenecks State Park by mikehanneman
Goosenecks State Park Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 39 photos
In 2004 I visited Capital Reef and wanted to swing down to Monument Valley. I was on Highway 95, where I aw a lot of great scenery going through the Glen Canyon area. I was aware of Gooseneck State Park and thought I would stop by.
There were a lot of cattle on the road. I don't totally understand the "open range" concept because I think it's dangerous for drivers. How do they round up the livestock anyway?
I turned off 95 and got onto Highway 261. Right off 261 is Highway 316 which will take you to Goosenecks. It's only a 3 to 5 minute drive. I saw two other vehicles there.
The San Juan River is located 1,000 feet below. This meandering river continues on to The Colorado River and Lake Powell.
I enjoyed a great view. Well worth my time for the side trip!
The wildest part was coming down the narrow dirt road to the desert floor where The Valley Of The Gods is located.
My son was a bit freaked out. You couldn't see if any other cars were coming along the hair pin turns.
What a great vantage point to look at The Valley Of The Gods.
If you are going to Monument Valley, I would recommend going a bit further to check out Goosencks State Park. It's quite an adventure.
This is what The Henry Mountains looked like on Highway 95 before The Glean Canyon area. I love this picture. It was part of the drive to Goosenecks State Park.
- Pros:Not crowded, great view & close to Monument Valley
- Cons:A little bit of drive....not bad though
- In a nutshell:If you are in the area....stop!
mikehanneman's Related Pages
Goosenecks State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Valley of the Gods - Goosenecks - Monument Valley"
- "Goosenecks. A Hidden Gem!"
- "Mexican Hat, the Goosenecks and Valley of the Gods"
- "Part Of The Grand Circle...."
- "Dainty necks"
- "GOOSENECKS STATE PARK, UTAH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goosenecks State Park
- Hotels in Goosenecks State Park
- Transportation in Goosenecks State Park
- Restaurants in Goosenecks State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Goosenecks State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goosenecks State Park
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Goosenecks State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goosenecks State Park
Photos in Goosenecks State ParkSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Waterloo Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos
- Moab Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kings Canyon National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Sequoia National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa City Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Page Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- North Rim Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Cedar Falls Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos