"Part Of The Grand Circle...." Goosenecks State Park by mikehanneman

Goosenecks State Park Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 35 photos

If you are in the area....stop

In 2004 I visited Capital Reef and wanted to swing down to Monument Valley. I was on Highway 95, where I aw a lot of great scenery going through the Glen Canyon area. I was aware of Gooseneck State Park and thought I would stop by.

There were a lot of cattle on the road. I don't totally understand the "open range" concept because I think it's dangerous for drivers. How do they round up the livestock anyway?

I turned off 95 and got onto Highway 261. Right off 261 is Highway 316 which will take you to Goosenecks. It's only a 3 to 5 minute drive. I saw two other vehicles there.

The San Juan River is located 1,000 feet below. This meandering river continues on to The Colorado River and Lake Powell.

I enjoyed a great view. Well worth my time for the side trip!

Hang On!

The wildest part was coming down the narrow dirt road to the desert floor where The Valley Of The Gods is located.

My son was a bit freaked out. You couldn't see if any other cars were coming along the hair pin turns.

What a great vantage point to look at The Valley Of The Gods.

If you are going to Monument Valley, I would recommend going a bit further to check out Goosencks State Park. It's quite an adventure.

Great Drive Along Highway 95 by Glen Canyon

This is what The Henry Mountains looked like on Highway 95 before The Glean Canyon area. I love this picture. It was part of the drive to Goosenecks State Park.

• Pros:Not crowded, great view & close to Monument Valley
  • Cons:A little bit of drive....not bad though
  • In a nutshell:If you are in the area....stop!
  • Last visit to Goosenecks State Park: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 6, 2007

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM

There is a lot of open range in Arizona too. More than once I have rounded a curve and found a large bull in the road.

mikehanneman

“"Life Is An Attitude"”

Badges & Stats in Goosenecks State Park

Have you been to Goosenecks State Park?