"Maker's Mark Capital" Loretto by mikehanneman

Loretto Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 9 photos

Marker's Mark

My son (Scott) and I decided to have a little adventure and drive to Loretto, KY from Louisville. During the 80 minute trip, there were a few moments of tension due to the winding roads with drivers coming over the center line. It was a beautiful drive, the road was lined with lush green trees. Enough to almost consider it a canopy at times overhead.

What is in Loretto, KY? MAKER'S MARK!!! This is an historic site that produces one of the world's finest bourbons.

Look on the website for tour times.

The Tour

I enjoyed the tour. The tour guide explains the history of Maker's Mark and you get to see how and where the bourbon is made. After a short visit of the warehouse, you can try the bourbon at thier fancy bar.

Dipping Experience

We enjoyed buying ($20) a .375 ml of Marker's Mark so we could dip the bottle in wax. I bought two bottles so we could have a sip at home instead of buying the bourbon and just looking at the bottle. I guess I screwed up dipping the bottle in the wax. Both bottles didn't turn out the way I wanted. Scott picked up on my mistakes and made the wax so it looked great with drippings all over the bottle. Different technique. Oh well, it was fun!

If you are in the area, I strongly encourage you to take 90 minutes and stop along the bourbon trail to Maker's Mark! You can even have a barrel with your name on it and after 6 years you can buy two liters of the bourbon out of your barrel.

• Pros:History, education and fun
  • Cons:A bit off the beaten path
  • In a nutshell:Down home good experience
  • Last visit to Loretto: May 2009
  • Intro Written May 28, 2009

Comments

mikehanneman

“"Life Is An Attitude"”

Badges & Stats in Loretto

Have you been to Loretto?

Latest Activity in Loretto