"Seaside Life" Monterey by mikehanneman

Monterey Travel Guide: 922 reviews and 2,753 photos

Objective: Whale Watching

We made a detour because my wife wanted to go on a whale watching expedition. It happened to be at Monterey, California.

We rolled into the city around dusk. I wish I had done the Mapquest. It was hard finding the hotel after a 6 hour drive from Sequoia National Park. There are just too many cars and people in California.

By the way, I thought California was supposed to be on the cutting edge helping out the environment. I had some pop and beer cans. I asked the guy at the hotel where the redemption center was. He said it was located a couple of cities away - hey California - wake up!! I guess it's OK for the homeless people to reap the benefits of the 10 cent deposits.

Outcome

We spent around 4 hours heading out to sea and back. There were around 20 whales, although it was a bit hard to see them. I didn't get too close and they didn't do any breaching.

Overall Impression

I was a bit disappointed in Monterey. It seemed crowded with a lot of young punks hanging out, walking and driving around downtown. If it wasn't for the Pacific Ocean, I wouldn't recommend this city to anybody.

There was a marine layer of fog near the city and it as cold in June.

• Pros:Great Ocean/Marine Activities
  • Cons:Expensive, too many people - wild young people too, overrated
  • In a nutshell:Has potential - I won't be back
  • Last visit to Monterey: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2012

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Welcome to one of Monterey's "red counties." I too was surprised to find the lack of convenient official recycling areas. But to be fair, many stores and street corners have a basket for recycling, just not an official drop off area. ~Joe

mikehanneman

“"Life Is An Attitude"”

Badges & Stats in Monterey

Have you been to Monterey?

Latest Activity in Monterey