"Seaside Life" Monterey by mikehanneman
Monterey Travel Guide: 976 reviews and 2,994 photos
We made a detour because my wife wanted to go on a whale watching expedition. It happened to be at Monterey, California.
We rolled into the city around dusk. I wish I had done the Mapquest. It was hard finding the hotel after a 6 hour drive from Sequoia National Park. There are just too many cars and people in California.
By the way, I thought California was supposed to be on the cutting edge helping out the environment. I had some pop and beer cans. I asked the guy at the hotel where the redemption center was. He said it was located a couple of cities away - hey California - wake up!! I guess it's OK for the homeless people to reap the benefits of the 10 cent deposits.
We spent around 4 hours heading out to sea and back. There were around 20 whales, although it was a bit hard to see them. I didn't get too close and they didn't do any breaching.
I was a bit disappointed in Monterey. It seemed crowded with a lot of young punks hanging out, walking and driving around downtown. If it wasn't for the Pacific Ocean, I wouldn't recommend this city to anybody.
There was a marine layer of fog near the city and it as cold in June.
- Pros:Great Ocean/Marine Activities
- Cons:Expensive, too many people - wild young people too, overrated
- In a nutshell:Has potential - I won't be back
mikehanneman's Related Pages
Monterey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Watching the Sunset in Monterey..."
- "City by the Sea"
- "Monterey, Ca~"
- "Monterey - Beginning of the U.S. tour"
- "Monterey and Its Beautiful Big Sur Country"
- "Life's a Kelp Forest..."
- "First Capitol of California"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monterey
- Hotels in Monterey
- Transportation in Monterey
- Nightlife in Monterey
- Restaurants in Monterey
- Shopping in Monterey
- Warnings and Dangers in Monterey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monterey
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Monterey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monterey
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Waterloo Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos
- Moab Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kings Canyon National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Sequoia National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa City Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Page Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- North Rim Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Cedar Falls Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos