"Kings Canyon...Worth The Time & Effort" Top 5 Page for this destination Kings Canyon National Park by mikehanneman
Kings Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 271 photos
I debated a lot if I should take the time to drive through and stop at Kings Canyon. I didn't know what to expect. I looked at VT pages and visited the National Park Service for more information. Of course it is right next to Sequoia National Park.
Nobody described the Park the way I experienced it. Driving into Kings Canyon was like going into a bowl, winding down until we were next to the Kings River. I really like the river a lot.
I am glad I invested the time in Kings Canyon. It reminded me a lot of the Rocky Mountains. It's a long drive into the Canyon. It seemed shorter going out.
It is pretty steep inside the Canyon. I was impressed with how vertical the canyon walls were. This National Park might be the next door neighbor to Sequoia, but it is quite a bit different.
The Sequoias were very impressive! Of the 75 or so sequoia groves in the world, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks protect 29 of them.
I always advise people to visit the NPS.GOV website to get the inside information on the National Park you might visit.
The Kings River was flowing really well when we stopped by the Park. There are a of waterfalls too. Looked like a lot of people were going to camp. This would be an excellent National Park for campers!
Lots of trails to enjoy too. Do your homework before hiking. Look at the trails and their despcriptions to see if it is a good fit for you and the other hikers. Take water and some food for energy with you.
In Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, the dynamic landscape comes from geologic processes working over millennia to sculpt granite, marble and other forms of rock. The park has large canyons carved by rivers and glaciers, towering rugged peaks and miles of underground caverns. Found throughout the park are thousands of lakes and ponds and miles of rivers and streams; together they form important watersheds in the park.
If you are into caves, check with the Rangers for more information about caves inside Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks.
This Park can offer a lot of solitude. If you want to visit a Park that isn't too crowded and is quiet, go to Kings Canyon.
They of course have Brown Bears there, so keep your food locked up in the areas provided by the Park.
I feel this is the kind of National Park that you really have to just stop and take in nature. That's why I believe it is geared for camping.
If I lived closer to this Park, I would become a camper in a world class spot.
- Pros:Quiet, not crowded, lots of nature to enjoy.
- Cons:It would be hard to get out if there was a fire.
- In a nutshell:Worth your time to at least drive through
By the Visitor's Center you can get some basic supplies. Food, sun screen etc. Once you get down into Kings Canyon... more travel advice
Sequoia National Park just started using its fleet of eight shuttle buses this year. Kings Canyon doesn't have any... more travel advice
mikehanneman's Related Pages
Kings Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Kings Canyon National Park Page"
- "A grand canyon of a different sort"
- "Contiguous Land of Giants"
- "HOME OF THE MOUNTAIN GODS - KCNP"
- "Kings Canyon...Worth The Time & Effort"
- "Takes a little effort to get here"
- "Kings Canyon National Park: Big Trees, Deep Canyon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kings Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Kings Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Kings Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Kings Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Kings Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Kings Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kings Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kings Canyon National Park
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kings Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kings Canyon National Park
- Posted in Travel Grand Canyon Forum "Re: grand canyon area- part 2"
- updated a Kings Canyon National Park Travel Page "Kings Canyon...Worth The Time & Effort"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Be Prepared"
- Commented on one of mtncorg's Kings Canyon National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Bring it with you or buy it at the Park entrance in Kings Canyon National Park Shopping
Photos in Kings Canyon National ParkSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon Intro, 54 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Waterloo Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos
- Moab Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kings Canyon National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Sequoia National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa City Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Page Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- North Rim Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Cedar Falls Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos