"Kings Canyon...Worth The Time & Effort" Top 5 Page for this destination Kings Canyon National Park by mikehanneman

Kings Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 271 photos

Enjoyable Drive Through

I debated a lot if I should take the time to drive through and stop at Kings Canyon. I didn't know what to expect. I looked at VT pages and visited the National Park Service for more information. Of course it is right next to Sequoia National Park.

Nobody described the Park the way I experienced it. Driving into Kings Canyon was like going into a bowl, winding down until we were next to the Kings River. I really like the river a lot.

I am glad I invested the time in Kings Canyon. It reminded me a lot of the Rocky Mountains. It's a long drive into the Canyon. It seemed shorter going out.

It is pretty steep inside the Canyon. I was impressed with how vertical the canyon walls were. This National Park might be the next door neighbor to Sequoia, but it is quite a bit different.

The Sequoias were very impressive! Of the 75 or so sequoia groves in the world, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks protect 29 of them.

I always advise people to visit the NPS.GOV website to get the inside information on the National Park you might visit.

Rivers, Sequoias and Nature

The Kings River was flowing really well when we stopped by the Park. There are a of waterfalls too. Looked like a lot of people were going to camp. This would be an excellent National Park for campers!

Lots of trails to enjoy too. Do your homework before hiking. Look at the trails and their despcriptions to see if it is a good fit for you and the other hikers. Take water and some food for energy with you.

In Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, the dynamic landscape comes from geologic processes working over millennia to sculpt granite, marble and other forms of rock. The park has large canyons carved by rivers and glaciers, towering rugged peaks and miles of underground caverns. Found throughout the park are thousands of lakes and ponds and miles of rivers and streams; together they form important watersheds in the park.

If you are into caves, check with the Rangers for more information about caves inside Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks.

Not Very Crowded

This Park can offer a lot of solitude. If you want to visit a Park that isn't too crowded and is quiet, go to Kings Canyon.

They of course have Brown Bears there, so keep your food locked up in the areas provided by the Park.

I feel this is the kind of National Park that you really have to just stop and take in nature. That's why I believe it is geared for camping.

If I lived closer to this Park, I would become a camper in a world class spot.

• Pros:Quiet, not crowded, lots of nature to enjoy.
  • Cons:It would be hard to get out if there was a fire.
  • In a nutshell:Worth your time to at least drive through
  • Last visit to Kings Canyon National Park: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2008

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Thank you for sharing your visit to Kings Canyon. When I was in California, I did not hike into Kings Canyon because of lack of time. Too bad!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 9:56 AM

Thanks for the birthday wished Mike. Used to hike here as a teen. The Sierra were my get away living in LA. Kept me sane.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Happy birthday, Mike. Nice photos here! I used to live in California and got around a bit, but I never made it to King's Canyon.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Another great page about the beauty of USA's national parks. Some fantastic photographs. Splendid.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 10:50 AM

Thanks for the birthday greeting last weekend. Great photos and tips on a place I hope to visit in the next year! ~Joe

mikehanneman

“"Life Is An Attitude"”

Badges & Stats in Kings Canyon National Park

Have you been to Kings Canyon National Park?