Grand Canyon Packing List Tips by mikehanneman Top 5 Page for this destination
Grand Canyon What to Pack: 34 reviews and 25 photos
Flashlight time - hiking back up at dark
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Depending upon what time of year it is and how quickly it gets dark, you may need a flashlight. I was hiking last August and found myself trying to hike up the Soutrh Kaibab trail when I ran into another family with kids. I had the presence of mind to pack a flashlight. I asked the other family how they would be able to see going back up the trail - especailly with kids. They were thankful I had a flashlight. I was happy about it too.
Hiking out of the Canyon at dusk with a flashlight
Miscellaneous: Depending upon what time of year it is and how quickly it gets dark, you may need a flashlight. I was hiking last August and found myself trying to hike up the Soutrh Kaibab trail when I ran into another family with kids. I had the presence of mind to pack a flashlight. I asked the other family how they would be able to see going back up the trail - especailly with kids.
They were thankful I had a flashlight. I was happy about it too.
Coyote along the South Rim
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Because the Grand Canyon is very dry and has little humidity, you will notice big swings in temperatures.
The heat spikes early during the day and then drops like a rock at night. A jacket or sweatshirt would be a very good idea.
South Kaibab Trail
Luggage and bags: Take what you need obviously.
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Depending on the time of year - summer definitely have some cool clothing that can breath and reflect the sun. Bring along some sun screen too. If you want to hike throw in an extra pair of shoes - the shoes will get dirty and be covered with the reddish dirt found in the Southwest.
If you are going to hike in the winter time beware of changing weather conditions. It can be 70 degrees at the bottom of the Grand Canyon and a blizzard could be taking place at the rim level. You might need crimpons for traction too.
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Hva all your medications with you. Watch out for any medicine that says exposure to sdirect sunlight can be harmful. There will be plenty of sunlight during the summer months.
Bring some bandaids etc. for the hikers when you are sore from your hiking activities.
Photo Equipment: I took a 8mm camcorder and a digital camera with me when my son and I hiked last year to the bottom of the Canyon. I didn't see anyone else taking the time and effort to take pictures below the rim like I did. Wow I sure appreciate the pictures and the memories now.
Like my son said it's amazing how much detail a person forgets over time. Just now I notice details in my pictures that I have on my computer that took me over a year to see.
Capture those special moments in the Canyon with your family, freinds or by yourself!
Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I took a couple of backpacks - nothing fancy. I could carry my cameras, water, snacks and whatever I wanted. It was quite handy without any hasstle.
Other Contact: email@example.com
More Reviews (50)
- See All New Bright Angel Trailhead Sign
- See All Lots of Wildlife
- See All Watch out for the elk on the roads!
- See All You can't get any closer to the rim!
- See All Lots of products to buy!
- See All Hermit West Shuttle
mikehanneman's Related Pages
Grand Canyon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HIKING THE GRAND CANYON - WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!"
- "The Awesome Beauty of the Grand Canyon"
- "Canyon Dreams"
- "Grand Canyon - West Rim"
- "CARVED BY THE COLORADO"
- "Grand Canyon from the air"
- "The path less trodden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Canyon
- Hotels in Grand Canyon
- Transportation in Grand Canyon
- Nightlife in Grand Canyon
- Restaurants in Grand Canyon
- Shopping in Grand Canyon
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Canyon
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nafplio Hotels
- Province of Camarines Sur Hotels
- Sogucak Hotels
- Tatau Hotels
- Kuwait What to Pack
- Bolivia What to Pack
- Osaka What to Pack
- Caribbean and Central America What to Pack
- Democratic Republic of Congo What to Pack
- Kovalam What to Pack
- Riyadh What to Pack
- North Carolina What to Pack
- Manaus What to Pack
- Hurghada What to Pack
- Kruger National Park What to Pack
- Isle of Wight What to Pack
Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon
- 54 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 151 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Grand Canyon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Canyon
- Wrote a Review New Bright Angel Trailhead Sign about Hikes in Grand Canyon Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "New Bright Angel Trailhead Sign"
- updated a Grand Canyon Travel Page "HIKING THE GRAND CANYON - WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!"
- Posted in Travel Grand Canyon Forum "Re: grand canyon area- part 2"
- Commented on one of I-Believe-I-Can-Fly's Grand Canyon travel pages
Photos in Grand CanyonSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon Intro, 54 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Waterloo Intro, 19 reviews, 23 photos
- Moab Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kings Canyon National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Sequoia National Park Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iowa City Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Page Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- North Rim Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Cedar Falls Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos
Latest Grand Canyon hotel reviews
- Maswik Lodge Grand Canyon
- 1034 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Kachina & Thunderbird Lodges Grand Canyon
- 414 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- El Tovar Hotel Grand Canyon
- 1271 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
- 994 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Canyon Plaza Resort
- 418 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Grand Canyon Inn
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Red Feather Lodge
- 727 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Best Western Grand Canyon Squire Inn
- 1650 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Bright Angel Lodge And Cabins
- 1059 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- The Grand Hotel
- 155 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- South Rim- 49 Reviews, 113 Photos
- Air Tours- 42 Reviews, 76 Photos
- West East Rim- 22 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Mule Rides- 9 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Hikes- 29 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Colorado River- 12 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Desert View- 12 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Water Falls- 6 Reviews, 5 Photos
- North Rim- 8 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Hopi Point- 6 Reviews, 10 Photos
See All Grand Canyon Things to Do