Madeira Island Off The Beaten Path Tips by PALLINA
Madeira Island Off The Beaten Path: 74 reviews and 88 photos
Monte is a hilly village just outside Funchal, the capital of Madeira. It was used to be the place where rich English merchants used to live to escape from the hotness of the seaside. Actually, it is still very pictoresque. I would reccomand, however, to go there only for a visit without staying there, although the "Quinta do Monte" is pretty attractive (but no comparison with Casa Branca, which is much better and much closer to Funchal centre). In Monte you can visit a very nice church and experience a very strange means of transportation, born in the last centuries. Some white-dressed people pull and push a sort of basket where one person or more can sit and go down (for 1 mile more or less) just taking advantage of the gravity. I did not have enought courage but people who did seemed to have a great time. You can't miss it, when you arrive in Monte.
Actually I found it was terrebly expensive: I think 20 € was the minimum fee for one person ride.
More Reviews (9)
- See All Visit Santana's traditional houses
- Tourist information in Funchal
- Fresh seafood & flowers
PALLINA's Related Pages
Madeira Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madeira Island - Sculpted by Gods"
- "Madeira - Small archipelago of volcanic orgin."
- "Madeira: spectacular island of tunnels"
- "ISLAND OF FLOWERS"
- "ilha da madeira"
- "An island of flowers and stunning scenery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madeira Island
- Hotels in Madeira Island
- Transportation in Madeira Island
- Nightlife in Madeira Island
- Restaurants in Madeira Island
- Shopping in Madeira Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Madeira Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bukhara Hotels
- Ban Nai Yang Hotels
- Cavan Hotels
- Serpentine Hotels
- Estado de Sinaloa
Badges & Stats in Madeira Island
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Madeira Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madeira Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Looking for a job in Munich"
- created a Madeira Island Travelogue "MADERA: island of wood"
- Uploaded a Photo to "MADERA: island of wood"
- Wrote a Review Visit Santana's traditional houses in Madeira Island Things to Do
- Commented on one of pikuu's Madeira Island travel pages
Photos in Madeira IslandSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reggio Emilia Intro, 39 reviews, 31 photos
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 24 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- Grosseto Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 16 reviews, 9 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Lucca Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos