"Madeira: the garden island in the Ocean" Madeira Island by PALLINA
Madeira Island Travel Guide: 776 reviews and 1,839 photos
Actually I wished to go to Porto Santo, a small island near Madeira with a 7-km golden beach. I was addressed to Madeira, instead and now I have really to thank the person to conviced me about Madeira.
Not many Italians visit it. Most of the tourists are from UK, Germany or France. And Portogal, obviously. I hardly found a travel book in Italian; the new release of Lonely Planet's Portugal does'n include Madeira (can someone tell me why?) and also on the web, looking for the same travel book in English, seems no Lonely Planets guide haven't been written about it. Very strange. But I found a good replacement: Madeira (Dumont pocket guide to travel). Nice photos and descriptions, restaurants tips not always to be followed. OK.
I think the reason why Italians (thanks God there is still a place on the Earth without Italian barbaric invasion...) don't go there is - as far as understand- the lack of long and sandy beaches. Moreover, ocean is too cold for us to swim.
1.To hire a car from your arrival at the airport and leave it at the airport’s departure. Unless you want to stay only in Funchal, a car is absolutely necessary.
2.Travel the coastal road. Sometime it’s better to avoid galleries to enjoy the beautiful views. Do not miss: Ponta de Sao Lourenco, Punta do Pargo
3.Visit its capital Funchal, in particular its colorful market (flowers, flowers, fruits and vegetable and fish)
4.Visit Monte and have a ride on certain wooden vehicles driven by locals. It’s an old traditional transportation mean for Englishmen living in Madeira
5. Have a swim in Porto Moniz’s natural piscinas
6. Visit little villages like Camara do Lobos, Sao Vicente, Machico, Ribeira Brava
7. Visit Santana and its typical roof houses
8. Have a hiking tour from Pico de Areiro
9. Do not look for sandy beaches: there is only one, small and overcrowded. Do not look for beaches in general (especially if you come from Mediterranen region: every beach will disappoint you)
Pico de Areiro is more or less 1800 meters high. It's very nice to enjoy the view from its several miraduoros, but it can be ever nicer if you have good trekking shoes and follow the paths. Have fun!
If you come from, let's say, central European countries, you'll find Portugal very chap. Madeira is cheap also, but averagely more expensive than Lisbon.
You have to hire a car if you want to see Madeira; the air conditioning is not strictly reccomanded during summer but it can help! Madeirans drive very very speedly. Pay attention, especially after galleries (there are many galleries). Choose also the old streets and NOT only the freeway, otherwise you will not see the island.
Everybody can speak or, at least, understand a bit of English.
- Pros:TEMPERATURE IS 15°-25° ALL YEAR LONG. SUMMER CAN BE WARMER (ALSO 30-32°)
- In a nutshell:Sunny warm and lively garden in the ocean!
Santana (the name arises from Sant Ana) is a small village in the northern part of Madera, famous for its traditional... more travel advice
Monte is a hilly village just outside Funchal, the capital of Madeira. It was used to be the place where rich English... more travel advice
PALLINA's Related Pages
Madeira Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madeira Island - Sculpted by Gods"
- "Madeira - Small archipelago of volcanic orgin."
- "Madeira: spectacular island of tunnels"
- "ISLAND OF FLOWERS"
- "ilha da madeira"
- "An island of flowers and stunning scenery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madeira Island
- Hotels in Madeira Island
- Transportation in Madeira Island
- Nightlife in Madeira Island
- Restaurants in Madeira Island
- Shopping in Madeira Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Madeira Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madeira Island
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Madeira Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madeira Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Looking for a job in Munich"
- created a Madeira Island Travelogue "MADERA: island of wood"
- Uploaded a Photo to "MADERA: island of wood"
- Wrote a Review Visit Santana's traditional houses in Madeira Island Things to Do
- Commented on one of pikuu's Madeira Island travel pages
Photos in Madeira IslandSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reggio Emilia Intro, 39 reviews, 31 photos
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 24 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- Grosseto Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 16 reviews, 9 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Lucca Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos