"Castelluccio di Norcia" Norcia by PALLINA
Norcia Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 54 photos
Castelluccio is one of my favourite places on the earth. I know it's hard to say something like this but I must confess I get a strong emotion everytime I go there. It's a plan between Umbria and Marche regions, in the Parco dei Monti Sibillini national reserve. You can go to Castelluccio for thousand of reasons: to ride horses, to drive deltaplans or parapendio, to take thousand of marvellous photos, especially when the lenses' plants make its flower (it depends on the season, normally end of May or beginning of June but it last fews days....then all flowers get ruined), to buy its famous lensed ("DOP" lenses of Castelluccio) and why not, have a nice stay and lunch at one of the few restaurants there, like the TAVERNA CASTELLUCCIO.
From Spring to Autumn around 100-120 people live in Castelluccio, in winter they become 20-30. The condition are very difficult; it snows very frequently (also on June 1, 2006...I was there with my T-shirt) and the winds are strong and frozen. I was told that a winter in Castelluccio can be compared ONLY with Mongolian winter. I do not know if I have to believe it...anyway it was cold, much colder than in Norcia, only 30 km far from it. Who is living in Castelluccio? Basically people which work with toursits or old people. It's impossibile to grow up a child there after 6 years because there are no schools and the next one is in Norcia.
This is a must. The owner, Franco, will let you love his Taverna beside Castelluccio's scenarios. Reservations in summer are hightly raccomended.
see my restaurant tips.
Moreover, a very nice VTfriend of mine, is going to visit Castelluccio because of my suggestion. She let me know such a great landscape photografer who took amazing pisc in Piano Grande:
- Pros:Ideal locations for photografers, biker, hikers...
- Cons:Do not go there in winter
- In a nutshell:Discover a relatively unknown place in Italy
If you go to Norcia, home town of the famous saint S. Benedetto, you cannot miss to visit one or more "norcineria"... more travel advice
PALLINA's Related Pages
Norcia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Norcia – sausage and magnificent hiking"
- "Castelluccio di Norcia"
- "Easter holidays 2007"
- "Monti Sibillini"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Norcia
- Transportation in Norcia
- Restaurants in Norcia
- Shopping in Norcia
- Warnings and Dangers in Norcia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Norcia
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Norcia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Norcia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reggio Emilia Intro, 39 reviews, 31 photos
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 24 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- Grosseto Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 16 reviews, 9 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Lucca Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos