"Castelluccio di Norcia" Norcia by PALLINA

Norcia Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 54 photos

Castelluccio di Norcia: sports/spectacular nature

Castelluccio is one of my favourite places on the earth. I know it's hard to say something like this but I must confess I get a strong emotion everytime I go there. It's a plan between Umbria and Marche regions, in the Parco dei Monti Sibillini national reserve. You can go to Castelluccio for thousand of reasons: to ride horses, to drive deltaplans or parapendio, to take thousand of marvellous photos, especially when the lenses' plants make its flower (it depends on the season, normally end of May or beginning of June but it last fews days....then all flowers get ruined), to buy its famous lensed ("DOP" lenses of Castelluccio) and why not, have a nice stay and lunch at one of the few restaurants there, like the TAVERNA CASTELLUCCIO.

Difficult to live there

From Spring to Autumn around 100-120 people live in Castelluccio, in winter they become 20-30. The condition are very difficult; it snows very frequently (also on June 1, 2006...I was there with my T-shirt) and the winds are strong and frozen. I was told that a winter in Castelluccio can be compared ONLY with Mongolian winter. I do not know if I have to believe it...anyway it was cold, much colder than in Norcia, only 30 km far from it. Who is living in Castelluccio? Basically people which work with toursits or old people. It's impossibile to grow up a child there after 6 years because there are no schools and the next one is in Norcia.

Taverna Castelluccio

This is a must. The owner, Franco, will let you love his Taverna beside Castelluccio's scenarios. Reservations in summer are hightly raccomended.
see my restaurant tips.

Moreover, a very nice VTfriend of mine, is going to visit Castelluccio because of my suggestion. She let me know such a great landscape photografer who took amazing pisc in Piano Grande:

• Pros:Ideal locations for photografers, biker, hikers...
  • Cons:Do not go there in winter
  • In a nutshell:Discover a relatively unknown place in Italy
  • Last visit to Norcia: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2008

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Oh, ein neuer Tip :-)) Juchhu, ich habe Heimweh nach Umbria :-))

PALLINA

“we don't take trips, trips take us...”

Badges & Stats in Norcia