Reggio Emilia Off The Beaten Path Tips by PALLINA Top 5 Page for this destination
Reggio Emilia Off The Beaten Path: 6 reviews and 5 photos
If you are fond of photografy like me and you are taking a stroll in Reggio Emilia downtown, it could be pleasant to stop by "Torno subito" (the translation should be "I'll came back soon") which is the first permanent photo gallery of Emilia Romagna region. It's a very small ambience (no more than 20 square meters) but has usually interesting imagines to look at. There are always small exibitions and Riccardo Varini's works, the owner. He is very helpful and willing to explain his works but I don't know if he speaks English. It is possible to buy very nice photos there (of Reggio or of something completely different)
Galleria Torno Subito
Piazza XXV Maggio
City Centre Reggio Emilia
La Reggia di Rivalta is located in Rivalta by Reggio Emilia (just 5 km far); since 2004 it is property of the municipality which has began a enormous restoration work after years of terrible decadence. The Duke Duca Rinaldo I d’Este (from the Este Family) commissioned its construction in 1722 in order to build up a "little Versailles" to the architets Ferrarono and Bolognini. The building construction ended in 1733. Its more flourishing years are between 1740 and 1760 and its decadence started in 1796, with the decadence of the Este dinasty. What is possible to see now is just the southern building, once the part of the staff people. Let' try to imagine how huge and beautiful all the Reggia could be. Moreover, the path to reach the Reggia started just outside the town centre of Reggio, by S. Pellegrino Bridge. That means that the path to reach the Reggia was 5km long!!!!
Unfortunately the restoration is not ended (nobody can say how long it will take) and now it is possible just go and stop of a while. Do not go there just to see it (otherwise you'll be disappointed) but, on the way to the hills (to Canossa caste, for exaple) you can stop in Rivalta 5 minutes.
As already a VTer has written, Reggio Emilia is full of beautiful balconies especially in the central Via Emilia, founded by Romans and now the most important pedestrian shopping area. But please do not look only at shops...admire the ancient buildings (most of them are private) and their beautiflul balconies. The one of the pic is in Via Emilia, indeed, Via Emilia S.Pietro. If you are in front of the church of S.Pietro look at your left. Unfotunately it is private and nobody, if not invited by the owner, is allowed to go up.
This pic was saved from the w_site: it's not mine
PALAZZO MAGNANI, Corso Garibaldi 29, Old town centre
It is an ancient building in Corso Garibaldi (where you cannot miss a visit at the Basilica della Ghiara) dated back 17th century. The present look dates back to the beginning of 19th century, when the building was property of Magnani Family. In the corner with Via Fordibelli, please note the "Giano", probably handcrafted by......(let me check) in the beginning of 16th century. Palazzo Magnani was purchased by the Province of Reggio in the 80's and it is now a very important exibition place for the town. The exibitions are either of moder arts or photografy. Sometimes, usually during the week end, the art director of Palazzo Magnani, Mr Sandro Parmiggiani, leads interesting guided tours (in Italian) of the present exibition (normally without paying no extra money except for the entrance fee). Ask to the reception. There is also a very nice inner space and, besides, a nice cafeteria called Soqquadro. The entrance fee depends on the exibition but generally is very fare, about 6 euros for adults. For Italians: do not forget your ARCI card, if you have one, it will let you some reduction.
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
More Reviews (35)
- See All best pizza in town
- See All just on Sat morning
- See All B&B
- See All Visit an "acetaia"
PALLINA's Related Pages
Reggio Emilia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reggio Emilia: my home town"
- "Things to do in Reggio Emilia"
- "Between the river Po and the Apennines"
- "Reggio nell'Emilia...A Nice Surprise!"
- "Reggio nell'Emilia"
- "Elegant Reggio"
- "Pietra di Bismantova"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reggio Emilia
- Hotels in Reggio Emilia
- Nightlife in Reggio Emilia
- Restaurants in Reggio Emilia
- Shopping in Reggio Emilia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pulau Sibu Kukus Hotels
- South Dakota
- Puerto Maldonado Hotels
- Franschhoek Hotels
- San Remo
- Trogir Hotels
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Off The Beaten Path
- Waterton Lakes National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Nicaragua Off The Beaten Path
- Brisbane Off The Beaten Path
- Veracruz Off The Beaten Path
- The Pinnacles
- Rockingham Off The Beaten Path
- Boca Raton Off The Beaten Path
- Karachi Off The Beaten Path
- Sorrento Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Reggio Emilia
- 39 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Reggio Emilia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reggio Emilia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reggio Emilia Intro, 39 reviews, 31 photos
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 24 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- Grosseto Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 16 reviews, 9 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Lucca Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos