"Reggio Emilia: my home town" Top 5 Page for this destination Reggio Emilia by PALLINA

Reggio Emilia Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 84 photos

Photo European Exibition from until June 12!

My home town is really lovely. But, since Italy has really a lot of masterpieces to offer, an Italian town has to be outstandingly beautiful to be taken into consideration by foreigners. The most of you, thinking about Italy, think immediately to Rome, Florence, Venice. Actually, although the above mentioned are surely the most fabolous, there are many other spots worthing a visit. Reggio Emilia is one of this, located in the Po plan, 60 km far from Bologna and more or less 190 km south-est from Milan. It could be a nice stop if you have been in Florence and you must come back to Malpensa Airport, for example.
We are about 150.000 inhabitants in the town, reaching 250.000 considering also its province. The unemployment rate is nearly zero. (actually was nearly zero...before 2008!) . Our economy, formely based on agricoluture (do not forget we are in the PO plan), is now based on industries trasforming agricolture products but also mechanics, textiles and ceramic tiles.

But I have forgotten to point out the reasons...

1. You will not find tourists and all disadvantages to be in a very popular destination
2. We are in the middle of the "Food Valley": food is great in every place
3. People are very friendly because we are not used to tourist. Ok...most of the people do not speak English. Refer especially to younger people.
4. You can visit the "Sala del Tricolore", where the Italian Flag was born in 1797.
5. You can buy the best parmesan cheese, traditional balsamic vinegar and Parma ham you have ever tried.
6. You can see three masterpieces of the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava: the fabolous three white bidges (motorway exit A1).
7. WE HAVE THE BEST KINDERGARTENS OF THE WORLD!!! If you are a teacher, you have surely already heard about our pre-school system.
8. European Photo Exibitions normally in May-June. pls check www.fotografiaeuropea.it

Parmesan cheese "Parmiggiano Reggiano"

As everybody thinks it was born in Parma, it was produced for the first time in Bibbiano, a small village in Reggio province. Accordingly to the Parmiggiano Reggiano "corporation" it is possible to produce it among the province of Piacenza and Bologna (so not only in Reggio and in Parma but also in Piacenza, Modena and Bologna), southern of the PO river and norther of the Appeninnes. It depends not only on the location but also on the type of cows and their food, which has to be under the approvation of the corporation.
When you buy Parmesan cheese, pay attention to the trade mark of its corporation "Parmiggiano Reggiano".

• Pros:Delicious food, no tourist traps
  • Cons:Very bad weather, cold and umid in winter, hot and umid in summer
  • In a nutshell:Unknown towns can be a very nice surprise
  • Intro Updated Jun 5, 2010

• Jul 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Pallina, thank you for posting this page. My son is traveling to your fair city for a 3 month study at the International School of Commedia Dell'Arte. It is his first trip overseas. As a worried mother your insight has calmed my anxieties. We also live in the rural agricultural area of US in the State of Missouri were Jesse James the outlaw was born and lived. We are famous for our Barbeque and steaks. So I am glad my son will be eating well on his adventure as he loves good food! Again, thank you for a insider look at Reggio Emilia. Love your page.

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2011 at 6:52 AM

What a gorgeous place you live in, Pallina! Very, very nice page! Will you be joining up with the VT'ers at EurMeet in Bergamo next year?

• i-bella's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 3:04 AM

You have created a complete and interesting travel guide to Reggio. Congratulations!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Well, here I am, Missing, the special celebrations of your area, this week; maybe try to get there this time one year?? Yes, I do prefer the Reggiano Parmesan for sure.Great information!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Mio sentire Italia is bello and noi visitano molto tempo, ma ancora imprano il lingua. Ciao and thank you for the tour of a lovely area. We could not get this far on a trip, but want to someday.

• painterdave's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 8:03 AM

very cute comment on Italian food being the best--I like your honesty in believing in your food. nice pages on your home town and area, you did great.

• Ina08's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Very nice Reggio page and great tips! Well done!

• cpiers47's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Great tips and beautiful pictures! Thank you for introducing me to Reggio Emilia!

• SapineKuu's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Tempting restaurant choices. Hope they manage to stop the relentless advance of McDonalds that seem to be taking over Bologna;)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2009 at 4:48 AM

Enjoyed my visit to your home town, nice!

PALLINA Lives Here!

PALLINA

“we don't take trips, trips take us...”

Badges & Stats in Reggio Emilia

Have you been to Reggio Emilia?

Latest Activity in Reggio Emilia