"Reggio Emilia: my home town" Top 5 Page for this destination Reggio Emilia by PALLINA
Reggio Emilia Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 84 photos
My home town is really lovely. But, since Italy has really a lot of masterpieces to offer, an Italian town has to be outstandingly beautiful to be taken into consideration by foreigners. The most of you, thinking about Italy, think immediately to Rome, Florence, Venice. Actually, although the above mentioned are surely the most fabolous, there are many other spots worthing a visit. Reggio Emilia is one of this, located in the Po plan, 60 km far from Bologna and more or less 190 km south-est from Milan. It could be a nice stop if you have been in Florence and you must come back to Malpensa Airport, for example.
We are about 150.000 inhabitants in the town, reaching 250.000 considering also its province. The unemployment rate is nearly zero. (actually was nearly zero...before 2008!) . Our economy, formely based on agricoluture (do not forget we are in the PO plan), is now based on industries trasforming agricolture products but also mechanics, textiles and ceramic tiles.
1. You will not find tourists and all disadvantages to be in a very popular destination
2. We are in the middle of the "Food Valley": food is great in every place
3. People are very friendly because we are not used to tourist. Ok...most of the people do not speak English. Refer especially to younger people.
4. You can visit the "Sala del Tricolore", where the Italian Flag was born in 1797.
5. You can buy the best parmesan cheese, traditional balsamic vinegar and Parma ham you have ever tried.
6. You can see three masterpieces of the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava: the fabolous three white bidges (motorway exit A1).
7. WE HAVE THE BEST KINDERGARTENS OF THE WORLD!!! If you are a teacher, you have surely already heard about our pre-school system.
8. European Photo Exibitions normally in May-June. pls check www.fotografiaeuropea.it
As everybody thinks it was born in Parma, it was produced for the first time in Bibbiano, a small village in Reggio province. Accordingly to the Parmiggiano Reggiano "corporation" it is possible to produce it among the province of Piacenza and Bologna (so not only in Reggio and in Parma but also in Piacenza, Modena and Bologna), southern of the PO river and norther of the Appeninnes. It depends not only on the location but also on the type of cows and their food, which has to be under the approvation of the corporation.
When you buy Parmesan cheese, pay attention to the trade mark of its corporation "Parmiggiano Reggiano".
- Pros:Delicious food, no tourist traps
- Cons:Very bad weather, cold and umid in winter, hot and umid in summer
- In a nutshell:Unknown towns can be a very nice surprise
In piazza Fontanesi, every Saturday morning the "mercato contadino" is held. You can find plenty of farmers offering... more travel advice
The famous Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava has been in charge to design a series of bridges in the south of the... more travel advice
PALLINA's Related Pages
Reggio Emilia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reggio Emilia: my home town"
- "Things to do in Reggio Emilia"
- "Between the river Po and the Apennines"
- "Reggio nell'Emilia...A Nice Surprise!"
- "Reggio nell'Emilia"
- "Elegant Reggio"
- "Pietra di Bismantova"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reggio Emilia
- Hotels in Reggio Emilia
- Nightlife in Reggio Emilia
- Restaurants in Reggio Emilia
- Shopping in Reggio Emilia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Reggio Emilia
- 39 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Reggio Emilia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reggio Emilia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reggio Emilia Intro, 39 reviews, 31 photos
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 24 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- Grosseto Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Valencia Intro, 16 reviews, 9 photos
- Bolzano Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Lucca Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos