Cape Breton Island Shopping Tips by Aafia Top 5 Page for this destination
Cape Breton Island Shopping: 8 reviews and 16 photos
Bag Piper Greeting
The Gaelic College Craft Shop is owned and operated by the Gaelic College. All their proceeds go to the college, which in turn, strives to promote and preserve the Gaelic culture.
What to buy: This is the place to go if you want anything Celtic: kilts, tartans, music, books, pottery, jewelry, sweaters, souvenirs, college clothes like jackets, t-shirts and caps.
Address: Gaelic College, Route 19
Directions: From Sydney, take the 105 and shortly after descending Kelly's Mountain, turn right on Route 19. It is less than a mile from here.
Theme: Local Craft
Many shops along the Cabot Trail offer the opportunity to see artists and crafts people at work. I've listed a few that we stopped at. The Cape Breton Artisan Trail Map gives you a complete list of the studios and workshops or you can pick up a brochure and map at many Tourist Information Center.
What to buy: Shape Shift Pottery, North River Bridge: Raku and stoneware located in an old school house.
Leather Works, Indian Brook: stunning leather works in beautiful colours.
Sew inclined: A really fun shop of one of a kind items including funky hats.
Silver Gull Gift Shop, Birch Plains: There's no workshop here, but some Cape Breton crafts like pottery, quilts, jewelery, as well as cheap souvenir type items.
Flora's, Chéticamp: Rugs hooked in the unique Chéticamp style. There is usually someone demonstrating this technique.
Address: Cabot trail Cabot Trail
Theme: Local Craft
This is one of my favourite gift shops. It's located in the centre of Baddeck. The first thing you should notice is how pretty and welcoming the outside is. There's even a bench just by the door for partners and friends that don't like to shop.
What to buy: I have a routine whenever I go into this shop. After entering, I go to the left, where there's a selection of women's, men's and children's clothing. It's rare that I don't find something I love for myself and the other women in my life. Then I go to the right of the entrance, all the way to the end and check out the gourmet foods. Last time I went, I picked up some "Wildly Delicious" dips. Then, I peruse the assortment of books, many have a Maritime theme. The shop also has a nice selection of pottery, pewter, carvings and Cheticamp hooking. After this, I spend too much time looking at all the pieces of jewelry and try to narrow down the pieces I can't live without.
Address: 490 Chebucto Street, Baddeck
Directions: Right downtown.
More Reviews (23)
- Swim at Mary Ann Falls - (Or Ski in the...
- Moose Poop
- See All Drive the beautifully scenic Cabot trail
- A destination in itself
Aafia's Related Pages
Cape Breton Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Ciad Mile Failte" Welcome to Cape Breton"
- "MooseSpotting in Cape Breton Highlands"
- "A small place with a huge heart"
- "Cape Breton in autumn"
- "CAPE BRETON ISLAND"
- "I'll take the high road"
- "My Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Breton Island
- Hotels in Cape Breton Island
- Transportation in Cape Breton Island
- Nightlife in Cape Breton Island
- Restaurants in Cape Breton Island
- Shopping in Cape Breton Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape Breton Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake Bemidji State Park Hotels
- Santa Praxedes Hotels
- Chessington Hotels
- Rivas Hotels
- Desert Hot Springs
- Estado de Quintana Roo
Badges & Stats in Cape Breton Island
- 26 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 57 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Cape Breton Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Breton Island
Photos in Cape Breton IslandSee All Photos (97)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cape Breton Island Intro, 26 reviews, 97 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guyana Intro, 12 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Progreso Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Margherita Ligure Intro, 9 reviews, 17 photos
- Halifax Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Mexico Intro, 4 photos
- Venice Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Italy Intro, 3 photos
- China Intro, 3 photos
- Riomaggiore Intro, 1 review, 2 photos