"GUYANA" Top 5 Page for this destination Guyana by Aafia

Guyana Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 641 photos

RAM (Canada)

In February 2007, my husband and I embarked on a trip that was like no other. We joined a team of medical volunteers (RAM Canada) to provide health care to Amerindians living in the remote Pakaraima Mountains of western Guyana. We traveled with two physicians, three dentists, two eye care specialists, one pharmacist and four support staff. We set up clinics in 5 different villages: Paramakatoi, Bamboo Creek, Tusenang, Kato Village and Kurukubaru.

DROGHEURS AND WARICHIS

Once we arrived in the interior of Guyana by small plane, we needed to hike from village to village by foot. This would have been impossible without the help and support of 2 teams of guides and drogheurs who showed us the way and carried most of our supplies on their backs using warichis.

IMPRESSIVE AND UNSPOILED

Trekking between villages provided us with unique opportunities to appreciate the unspoiled rain forest, savanna, rivers and falls.

• In a nutshell:I cried when I left.
  • Last visit to Guyana: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 9, 2007

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Wonderful page!
    I also really enjoyed your PPP and it was fascinating to see how the travelling bug has rubbed off on your children - you must be very proud of them!
    Regards
    Cathy

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Wonderful page. You carried anti snake venom? Good! You also had Indian Roti, Dal Puri for breakfast? It's really nice. They are originally from Bihar province of India,taken by the British as labours two hundred years ago. They are really very hard working people!

• sirgaw's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Thank you for visiting my Dubai pages. Congratulations on your Guyana adventure and for what you are doing for those who do need help.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Sounds like you had a great time in a little traveled country. We will ship out of Georgetown and are looking for things to do while waiting for the scooter to load. thansk for sharing.

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 7:39 PM

A wonderful experience you had. I've always been interested in this country, having read a book called "Jungle Journey" about a woman's adventure there in colonial days.

• namastedc's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Aafia - what a beautiful thing to have done. My brother worked on similar tours in Brazil and Haiti, and left with the same feeling of fulfillment. And I'm impressed you got on that plane...

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Very interesting page! Thanks for sharing!!

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 9:31 AM

I raise my (imaginary) hat for you. There should be more people like you. Good start on you Guyana page. Happy birthday from Finland!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Talk about an enjoyable page and an incredible experience! Kudos to you for your efforts in Guyana and thanks for sharing with us! This is a place I've always wanted to visit. I loved my only Churrascaria experience too - in Albuquerque, New Mexico!

Aafia

“Don't hurry, don't worry. You're only here for a short visit. So be sure to stop and smell the flowers. Walter Hagen”

Badges & Stats in Guyana