"Whitehorse city" Whitehorse by PeterVancouver
Whitehorse Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 267 photos
A very pleasant modern city to visit, especially during the warm (22-27 deg) weather of August. The city is mixed with some well preserved historic buildings and is small enough to be able to walk from one end of town to the other in a leisurely 45min. If you head down to the Yukon River you can always pick up the waterfront trolley ( C$2 one way) to take you to the next stop, or perhaps to the end of the line, where you can get some excellent refreshments at Earls Restaurant deck overlooking the trolley station at Quartz Road.This is also near the Whitehorse Transit Ogilvy Bus transit station where you can get a ride to most parts of town, including the airport (route 2 Ogilvy - airport - Lobird) although the frequency is not that great so needs checking out on
An ideal place to park your car is by the Sternwheeler SS Klondike which is now permanently docked on dry land alongside the river in which it plied its trade in the 30's & 40s between Whitehorse & Dawson City which, up to 1953, was the capitol of the Yukon when the title was transfered to Whitehorse
If you are seeking adventure whilst in the Yukon, then visit
Many people find the Yukon Transport Museum is a very interesting place especially when you have some time to kill before a flight, as it is in easy walking distance to the airport terminal building just by the DC3 weather vane alongside the airport.
It has an incredible amount of historic detail on the goldrush and early rail era as well as a huge facility with information and vehicles used by the Americans in the building of the Alaska Highway from BC to Alaska through Whitehorse during WWII
A 1942 WWII aircraft which has ended up as the worlds largest weather vain. It can be seen adjacent to the airport and the Alaska Hwy in the grounds of the very interesting Transport Museum.
The aircraft is so well balanced that it will turn into even the slightest breeze
It is situated very close to the Skky Hotel with its blue roof on the LH side of the photo
- Pros:A very pleasant place to visit especially in summer
- Cons:Probably not so good in winter
- In a nutshell:Not quite midnight sun, but going on that way
The food was as usual up to the standard of Earls throughout BC but it does have a large patio out the back which also... more travel advice
Approx 40 minutes drive south from Whitehorse Airport on the Alaska Hwy, on the edge of Marsh Lake. The blue hotel sign... more travel advice
PeterVancouver's Related Pages
Whitehorse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Whitehorse in the Canadian Yukon Territory!!"
- "Welcome to Whitehorse, Capital of the Yukon!"
- "a great little city in a big way:)"
- "cobrioc's new Whitehorse Page"
- "Whitehorse - the adventure gets started"
- "Kindra's Whitehorse Page"
- "Whitehorse is a Year-round Destination"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Whitehorse
- Hotels in Whitehorse
- Transportation in Whitehorse
- Nightlife in Whitehorse
- Restaurants in Whitehorse
- Shopping in Whitehorse
- Warnings and Dangers in Whitehorse
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Whitehorse
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Whitehorse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whitehorse
Photos in WhitehorseSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Churchill Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ottawa Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Agra Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Kovalam Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Whitehorse Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Whitehorse hotel reviews
- Yukon Inn
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- River View Hotel
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013
- Inn On The Lake
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- High Country Inn
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Best Western Gold Rush Inn
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Sundog Retreat
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Skyy Hotel by Resort Book
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Westmark Whitehorse Hotel and Conference Center
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013