"A Fast City" New York City by PeterVancouver
New York City Travel Guide: 15,888 reviews and 31,980 photos
A great place to visit, possibly due to being unlike many cities in the world. It is fast and aggressive and many of the locals appear to be abrupt, but that’s generally just their way. Traffic is chaos and around the Broadway area it is often quicker to walk, than to take a cab. Our first trip to NY was the most memorable as after 'deplaning" at JFK, we transferred to a scheduled helicopter service which flew us to downtown Manhattan just a few blocks from the UN buildings and got a fabulous sight of that, and of NY in general. Unfortunately this service, and the even more exciting trips offered in the 60,s by New York Airways from the roof of the Pan Am building 200 Park Avenue (now MetLife Building ) to JFK, have now been discontinued.. The Pan Am service was closed in 1968 because it was not profitable, but reopened February, 1977, only to close again three months later when the landing gear of a large, 30-passenger helicopter collapsed as passengers were about to board and one of its rotor blades broke off, killing four people on the heliport and a pedestrian on the street and as it crashed over the roof. For most of us it is now a fairly unexciting journey by either cab or limo from the airport to downtown, although it is sometimes a challenge to understand exactly what the driver is saying!.
Twelve years on and the new world Trade Center is well on its way to be finished by the due date of 2013. The new tower is very much different in that it is constructed in the main out of a steel frame covered with glass. There will be an increadible 70 elevators and 9 esculators built by the German company Krupps who, under the leadership of Alfred Krupp was one of the largest industrial supporters of the Nazi party in the 30.s and 40's
Some 470m high this will be one of the highest buildings in the western hemisphere
- In a nutshell:A city in a hurry - but great fun
The only redeeming aspect of this hotel is its proximity to Penn Station & Madison Sq Gerdens, both directly across 7th... more travel advice
A great place to sit outside on a warm summers day for lunch South Street Seaport is home to more than 35 restaurants &... more travel advice
PeterVancouver's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
Photos in New York CitySee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Churchill Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos
- Beijing Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos