"Victoria Falls Zambia side" Victoria Falls by PeterVancouver
Victoria Falls Travel Guide: 443 reviews and 1,074 photos
Described by the Kololo tribe living in the area in the 1800’s as ‘Mosi-oa-Tunya’ - ‘the Smoke that Thunders’ and in more modern terms as ‘the greatest known curtain of falling water’, Victoria Falls are a spectacular sight of awe-inspiring beauty and grandeur on the Zambezi River, bordering Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Columns of spray can be seen from miles away as 546 million cubic meters of water per minute plummet over the edge (at the height of the flood season) over a width of nearly two km into a deep gorge over 100 meters below.
The wide basalt cliff, over which the falls thunder, transforms the Zambezi from a wide placid river to a ferocious torrent cutting through a series of dramatic gorges.
One special vantage point is across the Knife edge bridge, where visitors can have the finest view of the Eastern Cataract and the Main Falls as well as the Boiling Pot where the river turns and heads down the Batoka Gorge. Other vantage points include the Falls bridge and the Lookout Tree which commands a panoramic view across the Main Falls.
Having been fortunate to visit both Victoria and Niagra Falls, the former is more impressive possibly due to the lack of commercialism.It is also getting on to almost twice the size and drop of Niagra.
In 2006 Zambia and Zimbabwe were warned by UNESCO that they were in danger of losing Wolrd Heritage Stratus for the falls as there appeared little control on the mushrooming tourism around the 30km radius of the Falls, much to the detriment of the site
Flying up from South Africa in the 60's during apartheid, it became a political hurdle to get back into African countries with black governments.
I simply needed to go from Jo'burg to Lusaka in Zambia, but the only moderatly direct route was to fly to Livingston airport in Rhodesia as it was in those days was located right alongside the Falls and be then picked up by Zambia Airways bus to take us to the dirt strip in Zambia just across the bridge to be flown from their Victoria Falls airport to Lusaka.
Just to emphasise the political nonsence that went on in those days, not only did the Zambian bus come to collect us in Rhodesia for the 10 minute trip across the Victoria Falls Bridge, but also I was able to ensure neither a S African nor Rhodesia stamp was put into my passport but simply done on a scrap of paper, which I could thow away after going through Customs!
Since those far off days, plans are in place by the Mugabi Goverenment to increase the size of the runway and terminal builing to take jets of a size larger than the 737 to accomodate travel direct from Europe or Asia direct to the Falls.
- Pros:A great oportinity to see the Falls
- Cons:a somewhat odd route
- In a nutshell:Quite Spectacular
PeterVancouver's Related Pages
Victoria Falls Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""The Smoke that Thunders""
- "Victoria Falls, the smoke that thunders"
- "VICTORIA FALLS, ZIMBABWE"
- "Victoria Falls - The smoke that thunders."
- "Twenty-six hours at Victoria Falls"
- "THE BEAUTIFUL SIDE OF THE FALLS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Victoria Falls
- Hotels in Victoria Falls
- Transportation in Victoria Falls
- Nightlife in Victoria Falls
- Restaurants in Victoria Falls
- Shopping in Victoria Falls
- Warnings and Dangers in Victoria Falls
- See All...
Explore the World
- Raymond Hotels
- Acireale Hotels
- Corfu Island
- Walla Walla Hotels
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- Porto de Mós Hotels
- Lake Hope State Park Hotels
- Prefecture of Samos
- Prince Rupert Hotels
- Kangaroo Island
- Province of North Cotabato
Badges & Stats in Victoria Falls
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Victoria Falls?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Victoria Falls
Photos in Victoria FallsSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Churchill Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ottawa Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Agra Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Kovalam Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Whitehorse Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Victoria Falls hotel reviews
- Elephant Hills Hotel Victoria Falls
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Victoria Falls Safari Lodge
- 434 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- HOTEL MERCURE RAINBOW
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Savanna Lodge
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Shoestrings Lodge
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Victoria Falls Hotel
- 575 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Ilala Lodge
- 308 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- &Beyond Matetsi Water Lodge
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Drifters' Victoria Falls Inn
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 15, 2013
- Victoria Falls Backpackers
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- The Kingdom at Victoria Falls
- 276 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Azambezi River Lodge
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Sprayview Hotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Hotel Mercure A'Zambezi Victoria Falls
- 186 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013