"Freetown" Freetown by PeterVancouver
Freetown Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 34 photos
A certificate against Yellow Fever and a visa is required for most travellers to Sierra Leone. The country is just recovering from ten years of civil war so great care has to be taken at all times, however the beaches are magificent and hopefully the country will again return to be a popular tourist area it was in the 70's. Lungi airport is located across a large body of water from Freetown. There are helicopter, ferry, and hovercraft services in connection with most major flights to transport passengers to the capital. However, the hovercraft suffers frequent breakdowns and the ferry service has frequent delays. Also, the ferry terminal is located in East Freetown which at times is not an especially safe area. Sierra Leone is a cash economy and as such, credit cards are not recommended as few outlets accept them, nor are there any International ATM's. There is however an American Express Office in Freetown to cash travellers cheques
- Pros:wonderful beaches
- Cons:personal safety still an issue
- In a nutshell:Hopefully will again be a tourist destination
PeterVancouver's Related Pages
Freetown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "cherrycoco's new Freetown Page"
- "Why do people fall in love with Sierra Leone?"
- "Freetown, Sierra Leone"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Freetown
- Hotels in Freetown
- Transportation in Freetown
- Restaurants in Freetown
- Shopping in Freetown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Freetown
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Freetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freetown
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Churchill Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 14 reviews, 30 photos
- Beijing Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos