"Mombasa and its Beaches" Mombasa by PeterVancouver
Mombasa Travel Guide: 308 reviews and 798 photos
Mombasa was first discovered by the Europeans, when Vasco de Gama landed In 1498, to spead Christianity, and to expand Portugal's trading area. To make the port secure, the Portguese built Fort Jesus in 1593, parts of which can be viewed today in town. The reason Portuguese is not used in E Africa, is that they only held the area for just over 100 years as in 1698, Omani Arabs seized Fort Jesus and ended Portuguese rule in Kenya. Once the capital of Kenya moved from Mombasa to Nairobi, in the early 1900's, it became something of a backwater, although still an important port serving both Kenya and Uganda
If you want almost uninterrupted sunshine, then the time to visit is between Christmas and February, before the short rains start. If interested in looking at, and photgraphing game, then the nearest is south of Mombasa at Shimba hills National park with it’s tropical rain forest. One is likely to see leopard, buffalo, elephant and the rare sable antelope. With regards to the better quality sandy beach, then you should book your hotel north of Mombasa over the Nyali bridge, as south of the town, it can be a mixture of shells and stones. Bring a sting relief as at times tiny sand midges seem to appear, and can be a little annoying, and at times a certain amount of weed does get washed up on the sand.
- Pros:Soft white sand north of Mombasa
- Cons:Security is now an issue
- In a nutshell:Heaven on earth - but keep safe
PeterVancouver's Related Pages
Mombasa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The town of many contrasts"
- "Mombasa - Entrance to Kenya"
- "Mombasa raha"
- "Fantastic Kenya"
- "Mombasa the beach city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mombasa
- Hotels in Mombasa
- Transportation in Mombasa
- Nightlife in Mombasa
- Restaurants in Mombasa
- Shopping in Mombasa
- Warnings and Dangers in Mombasa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mombasa
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Mombasa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mombasa
Photos in MombasaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos
- Churchill Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 13 reviews, 31 photos
- Beijing Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos
No friends yet.