"Sydney Harbour area" Sydney by PeterVancouver
Sydney Travel Guide: 5,798 reviews and 13,510 photos
An attractive part and tourist area of Sydney. From "The Quays" ,small ferry boats ply their trade to various parts of the shoreline including Taronga zoo on the other side of the harbor to view the iconic Australian Koala bear and kangaroos. In addition, hydrofoil trips can be made to the end of the harbour at Manley. At the south end of the bridge ( see off the beaten path) is "the Rocks", an area of numerous tourist shops and restaurants
A ferry ride to either Manley or to Taronga zoo takes you past the fort on Pinchgut Island just a few minutes from downtown Sydney and the Quays. Fortification construction started on the fort in the mid 1800's built at that time for fear of attack from the Russians during the Crimean War, and was completed on 14 November 1857. The fort was named after Sir William Thomas Denison, the Governor of New South Wales from 1855 to 1861. The only combat the fort experienced was during WWII when an American Navy vessel opened fire on a midget submarine but ended up hitting the fort instead, the damage of which can still be seen when I spent some time in the fort, being popular for wedding parties.
One of the distinctive features of the fort is its Martello tower, which whilst common in various parts of the world especially on the SE coast of the UK,
this Australian tower was the last built within the British Empire
- In a nutshell:An interesting and fun city for a short visit
A great train experience back in 1986 travelling up from Victoria to NSW. The train offered a good sleeper service in... more travel advice
The Royal Botanic Gardens cover 30 hectares in a spectacular setting on the shores of Sydney Harbour, with over eleven... more travel advice
PeterVancouver's Related Pages
Sydney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What do you do with your weekend?"
- "Love Those Sydneysiders"
- "Sydney - For the discerning tourist"
- "Flying down Sydney Way..."
- "The best start to any adventure Down Under"
- "City of Water and Trees"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sydney
- Hotels in Sydney
- Transportation in Sydney
- Nightlife in Sydney
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Shopping in Sydney
- Warnings and Dangers in Sydney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sydney
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Sydney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sydney
Photos in SydneySee All Photos (8)
Videos in SydneySee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Churchill Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ottawa Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Agra Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Kovalam Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Whitehorse Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Toronto Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.