"Devils Island, Papillon and all that" Devils Island by PeterVancouver
Devils Island Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 40 photos
Royale, St Joseph and Devils Islands, some 15Km off the Coast of French Guiana, are collectively and commonly known as Salvation Islands, where originally a leper colony was established and later, convicts from France were housed for the best part of a century, up until its closing in 1950. It is a very inhospitable and humid place, where numerous tropical diseases took their toll with inmates, guards, and their families alike. Even today visitors are required to be innoculated against Yellow Fever.The sea around the Islands have very strong currents and are infested with shark so escape become almost impossible other than for Henri Charriere or Papillon who claimed to be the only convict to escape and survive. From the size,t ropical heat and quality of the cells it was clearly an extraordinarily harsh place to be a captive and clearly it is impossible to imagine the horrors of what went on in that place.
Although infamous in history the Island is still important in this day and age as in 1965, the French government transferred the responsibility for most of the islands to its newly founded Guiana Space Centre. The islands are under the trajectory of the space rockets launched from the Centre eastward, toward the sea (to geostationary orbit). They must be evacuated during each launch. The islands host a variety of measurement apparatus for space launches, the launch apparatus can be easily seen on the mainland even many miles off shore of French Guiana
Devils Island taken from Royal Is. These two islands were for a number of years connected by a metal cable with a hopper used for transporting food and warders between the Islands
- In a nutshell:A place where souls and spirts clearly were crushed
PeterVancouver's Related Pages
Devils Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "To Devil's island on a christmas cruise"
- "Iles du Salut-- Royale, St. Joseph, and Devils"
- "Les Iles du Salut"
- "Devils Island, Papillon and all that"
- "Île du Diable"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Devils Island
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Devils Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Devils Island
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Churchill Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 15 reviews, 38 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos
- Beijing Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue