"Gateway to India Mumbai" Mumbai by PeterVancouver
Mumbai Travel Guide: 2,021 reviews and 4,076 photos
I was standing on this spot in Bombay some 30 years ago, on my way from Mauritius to London. Not a lot has changed over that period, other than railings have been put around the monument, so you can no longer walk through the arch. The city itself has, however, been improved greatly with exclusions on rickshaws, including Tuk Tuks, all sorts of slow moving traffic, including bullock carts and, of course, the famous cows, which used to roam the streets holding up traffic. Hawkers are still prevalent in the main tourist areas but beggers have all but disappeared. Compared with New Delhi, Mumbai is, on the face of it, progressing well.
The slums alongside the runway of Mumbai airport. Despite the individual poverty of many who live in these conditions, which is without both running water or a legal supply of electricity, there are numerous entrepreneurs beavering away in these conditions in diverse mini industries which create some billions of rupees p.a. of exports for the country. The Government on numerous occasions have attempted to bulldoze the area but without alternative housing, the slums are rebuilt the same day
- In a nutshell:A great city to visit
A great walk along the promenade in Mumbai with the breeze from Cowpatti beach. The place becomes alive later in the day... more travel advice
PeterVancouver's Related Pages
Mumbai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Mumbai (Bombay)"
- "My Second Home"
- "Mumbai – A Magnificent Mix"
- "Aadil's Mumbai (Bombay) City of Gold!!!"
- ""my" Gateway of India..."
- "Mumbai, Bombay....its all the same..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mumbai
- Hotels in Mumbai
- Transportation in Mumbai
- Nightlife in Mumbai
- Restaurants in Mumbai
- Shopping in Mumbai
- Warnings and Dangers in Mumbai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mumbai
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Mumbai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mumbai
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Churchill Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hanoi Intro, 15 reviews, 38 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos
- Beijing Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colchester Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue