"Mt Samat rules" Pilar by birgitte

Pilar Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 199 photos

Dambana ng Kagitingan "Shrine of Valor"

The most famous landmark of Bataan, the giant cross or "the Shrine of Valor", is located in Mt. Samat, Pilar. The cross atop Mt. Samat is visible in almost all areas of Bataan. You can even view it from Manila if you scour Bataan with a telescope. The Shrine of Valor commemorates the bravery of Filipinos and Americans who fought for our freedom during World War II.

The Shrine of Valor or Dambana ng Kagitingan. Shown in the picture is the Cross Monument and the Colonnade (the altar building/museum) before it. Yes, you'll be climbing quite a bit but the views are magnificent.

Inside the museum, you can view war memorabilia. Read a bit on history and see where you are in Bataan with the scaled model of the province. Photos can be taken inside the museum and even flash photography is allowed. Just no movie cams. Bring a tripod if you have no flash and do a time exposure. I made an experiment with this one since I have no flash and it came out still ok if a bit overexposed. The museum has soft yellow lighting.

• Intro Updated Feb 9, 2003

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2003 at 2:06 AM

back again to remind myself of how much fun we have when we visit you. hoping to go again soon...maybe next time we do more of subic? :-)

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2003 at 10:37 AM

Great page Karen. It certainly looks worth a visit for some Phil history and spectacular views. Now, do I go to Syl's or Dante's page for those pics of your butt?!!

• manuelEB's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2003 at 5:09 AM

A bit controversial for me the use of the word "liberation". Will keep learning about your country. Have my particular reasons for that.

• joh28's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2003 at 5:16 AM

wonderful info + pics!!!!

• d_d's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2003 at 5:05 AM

Nice pics! thanks to share!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2003 at 4:51 AM

I need to stop by Pilar on one of my trips! I've never visited Bataan! Looks quite interesting!Great Page!

• Feb 16, 2003 at 6:04 AM

Wonderful, nice to know that you had a great time with Syl and Dante!

• Kentbein's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2003 at 3:52 AM

What an excellent page and photos. Thanks for sharing them.

• janchan's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2003 at 3:20 AM

Interesting tips about Philippines history... :)

• Feb 1, 2003 at 1:20 AM

Great page and nice travelogues!

birgitte