"Mt Samat rules" Pilar by birgitte
Pilar Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 203 photos
The most famous landmark of Bataan, the giant cross or "the Shrine of Valor", is located in Mt. Samat, Pilar. The cross atop Mt. Samat is visible in almost all areas of Bataan. You can even view it from Manila if you scour Bataan with a telescope. The Shrine of Valor commemorates the bravery of Filipinos and Americans who fought for our freedom during World War II.
The Shrine of Valor or Dambana ng Kagitingan. Shown in the picture is the Cross Monument and the Colonnade (the altar building/museum) before it. Yes, you'll be climbing quite a bit but the views are magnificent.
Inside the museum, you can view war memorabilia. Read a bit on history and see where you are in Bataan with the scaled model of the province. Photos can be taken inside the museum and even flash photography is allowed. Just no movie cams. Bring a tripod if you have no flash and do a time exposure. I made an experiment with this one since I have no flash and it came out still ok if a bit overexposed. The museum has soft yellow lighting.
The giant cross of the Shrine of Valor (Dambana ng Kagitingan) can be climbed via an elevator. You can also use the... more travel advice
Up on Mt.Samat, you can read about the Battle of Bataan from the Colonnade walls. more travel advice
birgitte's Related Pages
Pilar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mt Samat rules"
- ""Cross Encounter""
- "Pilar, Bataan"
- "Mount Samat, Shrine to Valor"
- "Mixed Emotions At Pilar, Bataan"
- "PILAR, BATAAN"
- "Shrine of Valor, Mt. Samat in Pilar, Bataan"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pilar
- 12 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Pilar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pilar
Photos in PilarSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Philippines Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pilar Intro, 12 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Baguio City Intro, 12 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Ilocos Norte 2 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 4 travelogues
- Orani Intro, 2 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Subic Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Province of Bataan Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Italy Intro, 2 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Province of Zambales Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues