"SOME OF THE BIG SURPRISES IN BRAZIL - MARANHÃO" Estado do Maranhão by RafaelTheSecond

Estado do Maranhão Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 622 photos

MY VERY OWN MARANHÃO - MY HEART LIVES HERE

I am a very experienced traveller in Brazil, I spent most of my life researching about new places to be visited where everything is genuine, a place where the TOURISM is not a big business, a place where beauties are still untouchble, a place where wilderness are very present, a place where the local culture is preserved, some places where english is so odd as mongolian is for us. And I have to admit that I found one location in the brazilian map that we do need to see more, we do need to find out more about these wonderful people, we do need to add in our list one of the most fascinating place in Brazil called Maranhao.

Maranhao is one of the States of NorthEast region, a region where the famous Recife, Salvador and Fortaleza are located. It means when you think about Brazil you will always think about Rio, but when you are at least a smart traveller these destinations will be named...but you will be a UNIQUE TRAVELLER when you think about Sao Luis...THE CAPITAL OF MARANHAO - which I am talking about in one exclusive page - Sao Luis will be a very clever and very rare decision.

SOMETHING IS FOR SURE, YOU WILL NEVER REGRET.

Actually this is my 5th time here, and I am always in maranhao at least in each two months..the tete is full of wild places that I have to write tour reports, and I love learning with my own people, and every trip to maranhão is a pleasant surprise and I can realize how rich is brazil in culture, tradition and beauties, since ancient times men are finding so many untouched places where the NATURE RULES...I am sure that there are more to find here in this lovely endless spectacular place. I am doing alot working here, try to promote this location not only to the World, but to my own people. We brazilians, should find out more about our own land!

My duty here is to make Maranhão an easier destination to all my friends.

São Luis can be a reference to all travellers who are willing to add in the adventure list such a wild destination called MARANHÃO!

I live in Rio, and Marcone, my best friend and best travel companiors are always ready to explore new places and learn much more about our country, and all my friends from different countries are more than invited to join us!

STRANGE NAMES - TAPUTIU - RAPOSA - BACANGA

Maranhao has no Copacabana, Maranhao has no Iguazu Falls...The only name that you must have heard that can be found in Maranhao is for sure AMAZONIA, because getting closer to the limits of Para States, part of its territories really reaches the Amazon Region which also can give us great surprises. but for the traveller who recently steps on the incredible lands of Maranhao, he or she will come across with names hard to memorize, and very exotic names like TAPUTIU, RAPOSA, BACANGA...

Places with spectacular sand dune beaches, endless mongrove roads and little jungles close to the capital city. Surprises are countless in Maranhao and I hope I could help all my friends to explore more and more of this lovely State.

MARANHAO HAS A LARGE VARIETY OF WILDERNESS, places that not even the locals have any idea that they exist, places where wild animals can be spotted everywhere, places that not even the television had reached. It is a great cvhance that we have to know more about brazilian coulture.

MARANHAO HAS EXOTIC BEACHES, LARGE WETLANDS AND INCREDIBLE AMAZON JUNGLES...

Not to mention, but the State has the largest DELTA in the World: PARNAIBA DELTA...Leaving behind the enourmous delta of the Nile and the Mississipi.

Maranhao is a personal destination for me, there I have fantastic friends and I am in love with the local traditions and all the environment of such a free State. They call themselves as the MIDDLE NORTH...Not excatly northeast, not exactly north...MARANHAO HAS ITS UNIQUE PERSONALITY...

It also takes an important part of our portuguese language, the portuguese spoken there is said to be the closest to our mother language in Portugal. They really speak in a soft and clear way, and they are more efficient with grammar.

YOU SHOULD COME AND SEE...Maranhao is my opinion is a awaken dream!

LENCOIS MARANHENSES - A GREAT TREASURE

Words are useless to make you understand how unique and fabulous this region is...I can write a book here and I will never get close to describe such a beauty....I am very fortunated to witness one of the most fascinating landscapes of this Planet, maybe one of the most interesting places in this Universe...AND I AM NOT EXAGERATTING.... hahaha people always think I do....

I have been to 18 States in the country and I can humbly say, this is with no shade of doubt one of the most breathtaking places I have ever been...

LENCOIS, as people name it, are simply SOMETHING OUT OF DESCRIPTION.

Dunes, walking under a severe heat can be awarded by a great and feresh swimming in many of sparkling blue lagoons...Rain water only...fresh water...laggons which simply arise and die according to the wish of Nature...There is only one lagoon that never gets dry, that is the impressive Lagoa Bonita.

It is for sure one of the MUST SEE places in Brazil, few travellers have the opportunity to be there!!!

Thanks to my great friend Hamad I had the chance to explore (with that great traveller by my side) the secrets of a hidden land, but I am here to tell our great brazilian fans that Paradises in Brazil are very common to find!

• Pros:A vast State which invites you for adventure!
  • Cons:You will be willing to have a home there!;) MARANHÃO IS MORE THAN A HOME...MARANHAO IS A LIVELY PASSION!
  • In a nutshell:As usual, I will be back!!!!
  • Last visit to Estado do Maranhão: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 28, 2007

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2007 at 3:05 PM

What a joy to read your brilliant descriptions of Estado do Maranhao. Great restaurant and hotel tips. Vivid photos both color and black and white. Love your joy for living.

• ludogatto's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2007 at 1:32 PM

this is the Brazil I prefer! Lancois is one of my dreams!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Great new tips of the insider - your descriptions are filled with joy and love for Maranhao :)) I've always wanted to attend Bumba Meu Boi - hope some day my dreams comes true. I think Carolina might be a good stop on my way to Jalapao. I love bacuri :))

• marcbrazil's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Wooooow!I loved the way you write about the places you visit...And I have to say thanks to be your partner on those journeys...It was a nice pleasure to be with you sharing wonderful moments at that paradise!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2006 at 6:13 AM

Great page Rafael! that sand is so white it looks like snow!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 6:38 AM

A very interesting page. I enjoyed your vivid descriptions and your personality and enthusiasm is refreshing.

• dolly930's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2006 at 6:34 PM

Oi Rafael, you are so fortunate to be able to travel to and experience the distinct cultures, foods, music, wonders,and personalities of every corner of your vast and beautiful country!! You are a true ambassador!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2006 at 2:15 PM

Rapid response = I like the black & white photos = Nice to have a new page now & again = nice to here from you = if only by e mail!

• Oct 14, 2006 at 12:20 PM

lovely page! Nikos

RafaelTheSecond Visits Here Frequently!

RafaelTheSecond

“If you have a problem, give yourself a smile...Smile to everyone, it's free!”

Badges & Stats in Estado do Maranhão

Have you been to Estado do Maranhão?