"Mackinac Island: The Great Turtle" Top 5 Page for this destination Mackinac Island by Gypsygirl05
Mackinac Island Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 384 photos
Mackinac Island is one of my favorite places in the entire world. It has something for everyone, despite its small size, and it's just secluded enough from the rest of the world to be totally seductive. Young, old, single, married, history buff or nature enthusiast, Mackinac will captivate you from the moment you step onto the dock.
One of the best things about the island is that it maintains so much of its identity. Cars have been banned here almost from the moment cars became mainstream commodities (with a couple exceptions, of course-'Somewhere in Time' and a VW Bug that used to hang out in a Main Street shop), so the main modes of transport are horses, bicycles and good ol' fashioned walking. As a result, life is much slower here. People can take the time to stroll around, drinking in the majestic Victorian houses that have stood for hundreds of years. In essence, Mackinac is a snapshot from the 1800s with a modern spin thrown in.
Going hand-in-hand with the no-car idea, nature has consequently been allowed to thrive. Gardens and wild forests are abundant, with the Grand Hotel clearly in the lead when it comes to flower arrangement. The main claim to fame though, is the lilacs. Sometime in June, the island explodes into purple, blue, white, yellow and pink blossoms. An entire week is set aside in honor of these age-old lilac trees, some of which are over a hundred years old. Back in the day, it was a custom for the residents of the island to present a newcomer with a sprig of lilac for their front yards. The result is that the entire downtown is covered with fragrance for weeks during the summer, and lilac-flavored everything can be bought on the island. There is also a fantastic Lilac Festival held each year in June.
- Pros:Secluded, gorgeous, and an overall fantastic place
- Cons:Quite popular in summer, so there are a lot of tourists
- In a nutshell:An island frozen in time
Many tourists notice the tiny winged creatures that inhabit Mackinac's town, but few realize they are actually bats, not... more travel advice
Less famous than its counterpart Arch Rock, Sugarloaf is nonetheless quite a spectacular sight. Made of the same... more travel advice
- See All Good food fast
- See All THE place to go for books
- See All Swim in the Great Lakes
- See All Convenient, comfy Market Street B&B
Gypsygirl05's Related Pages
Mackinac Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Turtle Island"
- "Beauty in the Nature without pollution"
- "Mackinac Island: The Great Turtle"
- "Mackinac Island"
- "Mackinac Island, Michigan"
- "Lovely Place to Visit for Outdoor Fun"
- "Mackinac Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mackinac Island
- Hotels in Mackinac Island
- Transportation in Mackinac Island
- Nightlife in Mackinac Island
- Restaurants in Mackinac Island
- Shopping in Mackinac Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Mackinac Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mackinac Island
- 34 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Mackinac Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mackinac Island
Photos in Mackinac IslandSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mackinac Island Intro, 34 reviews, 15 photos
- Cairns Intro, 21 reviews, 16 photos
- New Zealand 14 reviews, 21 photos
- British Virgin Islands Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Yungaburra 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Orlando Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Port Campbell 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Green Bay Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Lafayette 3 reviews
- Australia 1 photo