"The Royal Burgh of Falkland" Falkland by Whitevanman
Falkland Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 26 photos
A Palace was first built by James IV King of Scotland in the middle of the 15th century and was erected on the site of a previous castle inhabited by the MacDuffs the Earls of Fife. It evolved through the next 100 years in to one of Britains finest Renaissance Palaces. Primarily used as the Stuart kings lodge while they hunted deer and wild boar in the vast forests that covered Fife. The name Falkland is associated with the word Falconry which was another royal hunting pastime enjoyed here.
The palace has the kings bedchamber with his four poster bed and the exquisite Royal chapel. The Palace also houses the oldest real tennis courts in the world built in 1539 which still has a Tennis club here today.
One of many fantastic views from the Lomond Hills. This is the view North East from the Tyndall Bruce Monument. On a... more travel advice
The Lomond hills dominate the skyline of Central Fife. On the far left of this photo you can see the East Lomond better... more travel advice
Whitevanman's Related Pages
Falkland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Royal Burgh of Falkland"
- "Local colour"
- "Falkland Palace"
- "No, not the Falkland Islands..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Falkland
- Hotels in Falkland
- Restaurants in Falkland
- Shopping in Falkland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Falkland
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Falkland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Falkland
Photos in FalklandSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Albania Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Falkland Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Greece Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Croatia Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Shkoder 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Gent Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Meteora Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Former Republic of Serbia and Montenegro Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Monemvasia Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Italy Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Falkland hotel reviews
- Covenanter Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion