"Hilton Head Island" Thomps's Profile
Hilton Head Island is a barrier island off the coast of southern South Carolina. The island is about 12 miles long and 6 miles wide at the widest point. There are about 40,000 permanent residents. The main industry is tourism since this is a resort island. People come for the ocean, the wide, clean beaches, and the golf. There are over 20 courses on the island, including Harbour Town where the annual PGA Tour Heritage Classic is held in April.
There are lots of things to do. Asphalt bike paths, separated from the highways, cover most of the island and there are numerous places to rent bicycles. Kayaking in the salt marshes is lots of fun for the entire family. Kayaking is easier than you think! Since we have a lot of dolphins in the water,and lots of birds, there is always something to see.
There are over 200 places to eat, ranging from the typical fast food places to upscale restaurants. The vast majority of places are casual. This is not a place where you will need a sport coat and a tie. In fact, you would look out of place!
No jeans either if you want to be comfortable. The high humidity in the summer months makes them very uncomfortable.
Closest airport is in Savannah, Georgia, about an hour away. Jacksonville, Florida is another good choice and is about a three hour drive from the island.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Countries
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Posted in Travel Hilton Head Island Forum "Re: first family trip to Hilton..."
- created a Philadelphia Travelogue "Eastern State Penitentiary"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Eastern State Penitentiary"
- Wrote a Review Hike Buttermilk Falls State Park in Ithaca Things to Do
- Commented on 8thWonderFijiTrip's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Hilton Head Island"
- Philadelphia 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ithaca Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo, 1 travelogue
- Hilton Head Island 1 review
No friends yet.