"Geiranger, Norway" Geiranger by Adagio1
Geiranger Travel Guide: 168 reviews and 487 photos
Train,bus and ferry are popular ways of visiting Norway. If you are a competent driver then lease/rent a car as Norway is one of the most photogenic countries in the world. Coming from say, Oslo you should stop at Geilo, Skei, Bergen and particularly Geiranger. Having said this there really isn't a town in Geiranger just a few shops huddled around the ferry terminal. Do arrive at Geiranger by ferry. There is a wonderful 1.25hr cruise from Hellesylt along the Geiranger Fjord.
On arrival stay at the Union Hotel which is run by the Mjelva family who have operated the hotel for at least four generations, well run and great cuisine.
There are at least 6 walks of varying duration at Geiranger. The one I especially like is #1 which take you way up in the mountain so you can overlook the magnificent Geiranger Fjord. I seem to remember it takes about 1.5 hours to the highest point 923 metres.
There is a wonderful drive for a morning or afternoon to Dalsnibba about an hour or so from Geiranger. The road leading to it won an award of excellence at the 1900 World exhibition, when you are negotiating you will know why. I think Dalsnibba is Norways highest public viewing point. Being Norway do check the weather out before driving there as the cloud often come right down over the site and it gets a bit tricky getting up or down.
- Pros:Back To nature, peace and solitude great night club at the hotel
- Cons:No real town, Everything is up or down almost no horizontal
- In a nutshell:Stunning unspoilt scenery, lovely people
I have stayed here many times and each time I am impressed by the way this family run hotel maintains it high... more travel advice
Adagio1's Related Pages
Geiranger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The amazing colour of the Geiranger fjord"
- "Geiranger Fjord and the Roof of Norway"
- "Geiranger the irresistible"
- "STEEP MOUNTAINS - MAJESTIC SCENERY"
- "Geiranger - Pearl of the fjords"
- "The most beautiful fjord of Norway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geiranger
- Hotels in Geiranger
- Transportation in Geiranger
- Shopping in Geiranger
- Warnings and Dangers in Geiranger
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Geiranger
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Geiranger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geiranger
Photos in GeirangerSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Bundanoon Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Montalcino Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- France Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Geiranger Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Goslar Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Canada Intro, 3 photos
- Croatia Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Bourgogne Intro, 3 photos
- Ålesund Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (24)
Latest Geiranger hotel reviews