"Leeton at Easter 2008" Leeton by Adagio1
Leeton Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Peugeot is a French automobile and the 2nd oldest existing car company in the world. In Australia there is a Peugeot enthusiast club in every state. Each year one of the clubs has the responsibility of organizing a gathering or "pageant" at a country town easily accessible to the majority of members. This year the pageant was held at Leeton NSW . Leeton is in the centre of the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. the waters of the Murrumbidgee river are diverted into huindreds of miles of irrigation channels to flood the arable soil so that Australia's best fruit can be grown. As I live in Bundanoon it was only a pleasant day's drive of 500kms to Leeton. The photo depicts My wife and friend beside their new Peugeot diesel 207 cars. My chartreuse Peugeot diesel 207 is still very new too. We felt it would be fun to drive our diesel cars to Leeton to see how economical they are. At the 2nd fill up we achieved under 5 Litres per 100 kms or 57MPG.
Yanco is just 5kms from Leeton and the hometown of a famous school founded in the mansion of an Irish settler Samuel McCaughey in 1922. McCaughey found a way of getting the much needed water to grow fruit and rice in this dry basin.
Today Yanco Agricultural High School has around a 100 boarders who are taught all the facets of farming and animal husbandry. Our Easter visit allowed us to wander through the main building and its surrounds.
Not far from Leeton is the big farming community of Griffith. The photo depicts a foundry worker demonstrating the repair of farming equipment.
- Pros:A pleasant country outback town
- Cons:Not seen at its best during drought
- In a nutshell:Certainly worth a visit, mainly for the Murrumbidgee Irragation Scheme.
Adagio1's Related Pages
Leeton Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Leeton
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Leeton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leeton
Top 10 Pages
- Bundanoon Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Montalcino Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- France Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Geiranger Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Goslar Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Canada Intro, 3 photos
- Croatia Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Bourgogne Intro, 3 photos
- Ålesund Intro, 1 review, 2 photos