"Bundanoon Southern Highlands NSW Australia" Adagio1's Profile

Bundanoon more of a village than a town.

Bundanoon is on a plateau shaped somewhat like an upturned soup bowl and is some 650 metres above sea level. About 2,000 people live in the village and its surrounds. Bundanoon is roughly half way between Sydney and Canberra. My home is just a short walk to the escarpment which plays such a large part in our local weather. It is not unusual to have mists roll in during the afternoons in winter and summer. The mist, it really is low cloud, gives us a nice secluded cosy feeling as we watch the nearby trees slowly dissolve to a faint outline.
My wife and I have been living here for over 12 years and never miss the city lifestyle we had in Sydney. The calm and friendly atmosphere of the Southern Highlands has brought us many benefits from good friends to an abundance of wildlife. We live on an acre surrounded by trees and a multitude of birds who accept us as part of their life.

Hey! we are down here.

As you can see from the Google Earth photo we are near to the Eastern Seaboard of New South Wales. It is only an hour's drive to the golden beaches of the South Coast. Sydney is 150kms away to the north east and Canberra, our capital, is some 175 kms to the south west. So we have the opportunity of visiting either within 2 hours along some good expressways. The climate here is variable but always pleasant without the extreme humidity experienced along the coast.

Leafy streets and quiet avenues

Most streets in and around Bundanoon are bordered by a variety of trees from the native gums to many European varieties as the cool climate, relatively speaking, welcomes their presence. The district has many competitions for its flowers from tulips to daffodils.

Bundanoon is Brigadoon

In April each year we have Brigadoon one of the world's largest annual Highland Gatherings. All types of Highland sports are played. A crowd favourite is lifting huge sandstone balls. We have an abundance of sandstone in the area. The local quarry made the town signs.

Accommodation

We have an abundance of accommodation from camping, Youth Hostel, hotel to the more upmarket B&B. Bundanoon was always known in the past for its guest houses, there must have been over twenty at one stage. Sydney-siders, in the 1920s and 1930s used to flock here by train to get away from the coastal humidity. The main railway line between Sydney and Melbourne runs right through Bundanoon and special trains used to run from Central Railway to Bundanoon. Opposite the railway station is the charming old Hotel Bundanoon offering modest accommodation. On the other side of the railway line is a delightful B&B called Idle-A-Wile run by two very experienced Qantas cabin crew who know how to put style into accommodation and cuisine. Nowadays most visitors arrive by car.

Bundanoon Railway Station

Although on the main line between Sydney and Melbourne very few trains bother to stop.

Coffee Stop

The Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe is our coffee shrine. They make great coffee and delicious light lunches and snacks. If you want to hire a bike, just ask. Morton National park is just down the hill.

Another Gem

The Bloomery Cafe and Nursery is a real gem. Pop in for a snack or coffee and tea or wander through to the nursery where Alan & Ian will help you choose some seedlings or garden nic nacs.

So you can see I am a pretty lucky to live in such a wonderful environment as we have in the SOUTHERN HIGHLANDS.

• Intro Updated Jul 19, 2011

• MariaofAsia's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM

wow very imformative page love it but i cant travel there yet i can only travel to asia

• poppy6488's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Wishing you a Happy 2014 Wal. All the best.

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I think maybe you posted in the wrong thread? Maybe you meant to make your post in the one above: "Bad news/Good news"? You posted in travel apps. I've not replied so you can go back and delete and re post in the right thread. :)

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Heya WAL@!

Belated birthday greets...Hope you're well!! XTREMELY busy here...just back from another month with my wife in the PH..looking at living there in the not too distant future!
    Cheers!
    G.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Thanks Greg, Living in the Philippines?? how could you give up all those frigid winters in Ottawa,dark days, slippery walkways and everyone looks the same size in winter !! good luck and Pat & I wish you both well. Now, about those cyclones in PH?? BTW Pay is just OK, me? I keep on keeping on.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
      Oct 16, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Hard to imagine THAT trade off isnt it? Stay TUUNED!! More news to come!

• vpas's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Wishing you a belated happy birthday Wal! Sorry for missing the day! not been logging on to vt regularly.

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Hi Seetha, thanks for the birthday wishes. I was thinking of you the other day when I was making this year's Lime Pickle. I made 9 jars of it and still have a tree full of limes plus 3 jars of salted limes. What else can I do with salted limes?

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Thanks, I am trying to handle all the fun I can muster

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Happy Birthday Wal! Hope you enjoy a fabulous birthday celebration!

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Thanks Grace, I have not been near VT for a long time as I could not find any up-to-date info for people. What does one do when very little travel takes place? I am intending to be more active from now on.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo
      Oct 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Well, I only travel about twice a year. However, I log in to possibly answer questions on the travel forum. Sometimes, I look at the miscellaneous forum and see what's going on there. Plus, you can add your local area tips. I do that all the time.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Happy Birthday Wal! Have a great day (and upcoming year)!

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I will keep up my promotional campaign until that day. Keep us in mind and we will help.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo
      Oct 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Thanks - I'll certainly keep that in mind!

• YVRDave's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2013 at 6:49 AM

I was just thinking of you last week, Hope all is well Wal. Happy Birthday!!!!

• SONG's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Happy birthday.....hope you pop in and say hello...........

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I am planning to get back into VT as I have been away for awhile. I have not been travelling and what can you contribute if you are not travelling?

• SONG's Profile Photo
      Oct 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Yourself!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Adagio1's Profile Photo

Adagio1

“Without friends is a most serious form of poverty.”

Real Name