"Don't be afraid!" Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit by HotRodEtte
Detroit Travel Guide: 671 reviews and 1,482 photos
Not a day goes by that I don't go into the city and do something. When most people hear "Detroit," the first thing that comes to mind is gangs, crime and ghetto. But that's not true at all. All big cities have their gangs, crime and ghetto, but if you look deeper into the spirit of the city of detroit, you will see that it is packed with fun things to do, interesting people, and fabulous night life.
Detroit hosts a tremendous amount of different types of festivals throughout the year. Hart Plaza, a free outdoor "square," is where the majority of these are held. The music festivals range from jazz to country to techno and they also hold many cultural ones as well where a certain nation or region is honored with food, music, dancing and art.
The newest festival to hit our city is the Motown Winter Blast, usually to take place the first weekend in February (what a coincidence--the weekend of Superbowl XL!!). This includes different types of foods, entertainment, and a giant snow hill for the kids to go sledding, just to name a few! And it all takes place at the newly constructed Campus Martius, only a few blocks from Ford Field and Comerica Park.
In order to prepare for the all star baseball game and the 2006 super bowl, the city of Detroit is coming alive with new attractions. The newest is Campus Martius, which consists of an outdoor park, lined with shops, cafes (including a new Hard Rock cafe), and a giant new home to Compuware Inc. headquarters.
- Pros:Tons of activities, nightlife, sport events and restaurants
- Cons:same as all big cities; bums, crime, heavy traffic & construction
- In a nutshell:When you know where youre going, it's a great place to visit
Hard Rock Cafe was just opened 2 years ago in Detroit's newest area, CAmpus Martius. Connected to the Compuware... more travel advice
Hart Plaza is the central "free spot" along the Detroit river, where festivals are held almost every weekend, all summer... more travel advice
HotRodEtte's Related Pages
Detroit Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PARIS OF THE MIDWEST. A Love Story."
- "Don't be afraid!"
- "Some Signs of Life in Motor City"
- "Dog Walking Downtown Detroit"
- "No Place Like Home"
- "Elegy for the City on the Straights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Detroit
- Hotels in Detroit
- Transportation in Detroit
- Nightlife in Detroit
- Restaurants in Detroit
- Shopping in Detroit
- Warnings and Dangers in Detroit
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Detroit
- 34 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Detroit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Detroit
Photos in DetroitSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 51 reviews, 39 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 37 photos
- Chicago Intro, 29 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Detroit Intro, 34 reviews, 7 photos
- Toronto Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Nashville Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Gatlinburg Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munising Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Key West Intro, 11 reviews, 8 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos