"Port Alberni I live here" Port Alberni by canuck68
Port Alberni Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 102 photos
We are blessed with some wonderful scenery in the Alberni Valley. We are surrounded by mountains and also have impressive waterways. One is the Somass River which runs into the Alberni Canal which continues out to the Pacific ocean.
On the river at this time of year (Sept-Oct) it is possible at low tide to see bears fishing in the river for salmon. They are quite an impressive site.
Our Harbour Quay is a hive of activity in the summer.
Locals and tourists enjoying coffee or a meal outside; families walking around looking at the scenery and shops all make for a fun afternoon..
The picture above was taken from the Quay but in November. The shot is taken toward the Pacific Ocean.
Many folks like to go down to the Somass River at low tide and see if they can spot a bear fishing. It's fun to watch.
Elsewhere in the town bears are fairly prevalent in bush areas and do come into residential areas where they feast on the fruit from trees and also garbage. They frequently knock over garbage cans and leave a nice mess behind.
Fishing is popular in the Alberni Valley. ....both sport and commercial fishing on the Alberni Canal and even further to the Pacific Ocean. Those who wish to hire a boat and guide can do so at the Clutesi or China Creek Marinas or by consulting the Chamber of Commerce.
The Mars water bomber pictured below is the pride of the Alberni Valley. When the roar of it's engines is heard, everyone on the streets is looking up.
- Pros:Set in a beautiful valley with beautiful lakes and rivers.
- Cons:Can sometimes forget to stop raining.
- In a nutshell:Port Alberni has beautiful scenery and is a great place to live or visit.
I have been here several times and never been disappointed. The menu boasts a wide variety of dishes both for lunch and... more travel advice
This coffee shop is unique. The menu is varied and delicious. The atmosphere has been carefully created and the lattes... more travel advice
Written May 28, 2012
Coombs, B.C. Canada
Written May 6, 2012
Port Alberni, A Sporting Community
canuck68's Related Pages
Port Alberni Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Alberni I live here"
- "An attractive and unpretentious town"
- "Port Alberni, Forestry capital of Vancouver Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Alberni
- Hotels in Port Alberni
- Transportation in Port Alberni
- Restaurants in Port Alberni
- Shopping in Port Alberni
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Alberni
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Alberni
- 29 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Port Alberni?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Alberni
Top 10 Pages
- South Africa Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 7 travelogues
- Port Alberni Intro, 29 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Johannesburg Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cape Town Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Casa Grande Intro, 1 review, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Tofino Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Pilanesberg Intro, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Island Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue