"Swakopmund" Swakopmund by nora_south_africa
Swakopmund Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 514 photos
Swakopmund is a largely self sufficient town, with lots of modern amenities.
The town has banks, car hire, intent cafe', library, museums, a public pool, its has post and telecumunication services.
What to do????
Namib Naukluft park
The Germans built the jetty in about 1891, it was built to offload goods to the mainland.
Some historical dates.
September 1892. First building is erected in Swakopmund (a barrack for troops).
1895. First people to be buried in the local cemetery - 5 sailors who drowned in boat accident.
1896. Lieutenant Troost's attempts to solve transport problem by introducing ''Martin Luther''.
1897. First post office in town.
1899. Introduction of cable telegraph service. Water pipeline from Swakop.
1901. First passengers is landed at the Mole. Telephone service established with 40 subscribers.
1903. First wooden pavements.
1905. Jetty opened. The newspaper Deutsche Suedwestafrikanische Zeitung published. 1433 inhabitants.
1909. Swakopmund is an independent municipality.
1911. Shipping connection with New York. First Swakopmunder Zeitung published.
1914. Shelling of the harbour by British naval cruisers. Swakopmund is evacuated inland.
1915. Occupation by SA troops. Shooting of more than 1500 horses and mules outside of the town.
1926. Railway bridge opened over the mouth of Swakop river.
1929. Hansa Brewery is opened.
1930. First guano platform constructed.
1931. Railway bridge is destroyed by flood.
1935. Railway bridge constructed 5 km upstream from Swakop river mouth.
1951. Opening of museum
1959. Opening of salt road to Walvis Bay.
1967. Tar road from Windhoek reached Swakopmund.
1970. Tar road to Walvis Bay opened.
1973. First 3 traffic robots.
1994. Swakopmund Hotel is opened.
good across the road from the main beach, the heated indoor Olympic Pool, and within walking distance to excellent... more travel advice
nora_south_africa's Related Pages
Swakopmund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEST BEACH RESORT IN NAMIBIA"
- "Germany in the Desert"
- "Swakopmund - city at the misty coast of Namibia"
- ""And the weather forecast for today is 14 and 22""
- "A german spot in an african desert"
- "Diary Swakopmund"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swakopmund
- Hotels in Swakopmund
- Transportation in Swakopmund
- Nightlife in Swakopmund
- Restaurants in Swakopmund
- Shopping in Swakopmund
- Warnings and Dangers in Swakopmund
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Swakopmund
- 5 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Swakopmund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swakopmund
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 9 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 94 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stilbaai Intro, 79 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 43 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of the Western Cape Intro, 42 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mossel Bay Intro, 37 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jongensfontein Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique Intro, 44 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues