"The South of Mauritius" Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius by nora_south_africa
Mauritius Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 278 photos
I have divided my Mauritius info into 2 pages, so check my VT pages for my other Mauritius page, this page will be about the South ( bottom half) of Mauritius and the other page is mainly of the north areas.
The South coast is NOT typical of the picture postcard image of Mauritius and it’s a region of rugged beauty.
The region has the most rugged area on the island.
It has high cliffs dropping into the sea, .high waves and sometimes bits of coral wash up on the beaches, a great area for snorkel .The popular view point is Gris Gris where you can watch the waves crashing white against the rugged cliffs.
Areas that DO have the postcard beaches are in the South East ( blue bay) and South West (le Morne) and some of the beaches north from that.
The South part of the island is a lot more local, a lot cheaper ( local foods can be almost half price to those in Grand Baie)Accommodation is not so freely available and not much budget accommodation cause less people visit here, but they were building some big new hotels, just make sure when booking a hotel this this is kind of area you prefer.
The area has good bus service although will take very long to get on bus up north(you will have to change busses and busses take long) so may be difficult to get back before the last bus, taxi not as freely available as in north ,I would advise if you want to go up north find a place to sleep over and come back next day, At Perrybere beach and Grand Baie you will easily find a place in your price range out of season, IN SEASON please book in advance! I do have a budget option ( Allamanda) on my north page. Its basic but on the bus route ( Think it’s the 3rd bus stop past Perrybere beach) ask driver they all know it. Its basic but clean and you can book it on one of the hostel booking sites as well not sure which one ( do a google search)
Your other option is to go up north by bus, enjoy the day and return by taxi ( going to be a bit expensive cause it’s a long way and remember the taxi must go back)
You wont find big shopping centre in the south, (not as in 2007) for this go to Grand Baie to super U ( bus driver will know where to drop you)on bus from Port Loius to Grand baie. To get to north by bus, Take bus to Port Loius, you will arrive at VICTORIA bus stand, from here you take a short bus ride again to IMMIGRATION that’s the bus stand that goes up north, from here ask for bus to Grand Baie or Perrybere .
This waterfall is close to 7 coloured earth, there are stalls here that sell goods quite cheaply, I bought wine glasses... more travel advice
You can visit the remains of Fort Hendrik, they are near the fort Hendrik museum on the south east coast. more travel advice
nora_south_africa's Related Pages
Mauritius Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mauritius - A Colourful Island Paradise"
- "Mauritius Feb 2004"
- "The South of Mauritius"
- "île maurice"
- "august 19th-sept 3rd 2006"
- "Mauritius - the romantic island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mauritius
- Hotels in Mauritius
- Transportation in Mauritius
- Nightlife in Mauritius
- Restaurants in Mauritius
- Shopping in Mauritius
- Warnings and Dangers in Mauritius
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mauritius
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Mauritius?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mauritius
Photos in MauritiusSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 67 reviews, 168 photos, 9 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 94 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Stilbaai Intro, 79 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 43 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of the Western Cape Intro, 42 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mossel Bay Intro, 37 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jongensfontein Intro, 23 reviews, 70 photos, 7 travelogues
- Kruger National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique Intro, 44 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues