"Zuni American Indian Reservation" Zuni by silieputty

Zuni Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 5 photos

A magical place

I spent 6 days in Zuni on the Indian reservation. I was involved with a volunteer organisation that provides preventative medicine and surgery to pets in rural areas.

There were thunder storms the first day or two, but it was still warm outside. The scenery here was amazing - there's this huge mesa visible from most of the town. The people were very kind and seemed to really love their pets. It is sad that there are no veterinarians in the town itself (an hour's drive away may find you one), as there are so many animals that live there.

I think the most amazing thing was the sky and the wonderful people. There are turquoise shops around the main road (very nice people there and beautiful hand crafted jewelry) - I highly recommend a visit to a few. Don't leave without a dream catcher either!

The community provided us with food and allowed us to use the showers in their hospital. They were just too nice! We even had *cream puffs* and freshly baked fry bread. Yum!

We got to see the eagle mews the first day. They have over 20 (or was that 60?) eagles, including bald eagles and golden eagles. These are all disabled once-wild birds that the fish & wildlife service have given them to use for feather collection.

• Last visit to Zuni: Aug 2005
  • Intro Written Feb 26, 2006

Comments

silieputty

“Look for the birds!”