"New Orleans long stay" New Orleans by silieputty

New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,198 reviews and 7,269 photos

Arrival

We obtained relatively cheap airfare from Boston to New Orleans for about $280 each way (2 tickets for that price). Kayak.com helped me with that, and I had to book it on 2 different airlines - but it worked out wonderfully.

We arrived on a Friday and took the shuttle (Airport shuttle New Orleans, the "official" airport shuttle) that I had booked tickets for previously.

The wait for the shuttle bus was really short, like 10 minutes maximum. It was orderly and easy to find the bus.

The bus took us and several other passengers to the various hotels - our stop was last, so we got to see some other areas of New Orleans. The drive was not particularly friendly (he spent a lot of time on his blue tooth or similar).

Our Hotel

My boyfriend's family owns a time share, and they let us use it. We stayed at Avenue Plaza hotel on St. Charles Avenue, in the Garden District. The streetcar runs directly in front of the hotel, and the car stop is less than 5 minutes' walk away. There is a Walgreens (24 Hr) really close on the same avenue, and you can buy a streetcar pass there ("Jazzy Pass").

Our room could sleep 4, but had 1 bedroom and a pull-out sofa bed. My boyfriend and I stayed there alone for only 4 nights, but shared it with my parents for 3 nights. It was newly renovated and had a beautiful kitchenette, complete with full-sized fridge/freezer, tiny dishwasher, full sized microwave, and full-sized Cuisinart coffee maker. There were pots and pans if you wanted to cook, and they provided a little coffee, popcorn and cocoa.

• Pros:Exremely friendly and polite people; the most tasty food; a city bursting with history and culture.
  • Cons:Apparently can be dangerous in areas, and a bit dirty...saw a couple of dead rats on the streets in the French Quarter.
  • In a nutshell:A foodie's heaven, and a lovely city for walking/strolling
  • Last visit to New Orleans: Mar 2012
  • Intro Written Apr 11, 2012

Comments

silieputty

“Look for the birds!”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in New Orleans

Have you been to New Orleans?

Latest Activity in New Orleans