Beijing Shopping Tips by Willettsworld
Beijing Shopping: 299 reviews and 355 photos
This excellent model shop is located just down the road, east of the Drum and Bell Towers. If you're into model cars and such like then this place is for you. The street is also home to several musical instrument shops.
Address: Gulou Dongdajie
Theme: Toys and Games
Silk Street is a large modern shopping centre that contains over 1,700 vendors who, mostly, sell counterfeit designer brand clothing and shoes. As well as this, their are stalls selling traditional Chinese handicrafts, antiques, calligraphy, carpets, table cloths, bed coverings, paintings, hand-knit dresses, toys, electronic gadgets, trinkets, and fine jewellery. Opened on March 19, 2005, and replacing the old alley-based Xiushui Market, the shopping centre attracts thousands of foreign tourists looking for counterfeit bargains. The place can feel very intimidating with vendors trying to attract you into their area. Remember to bargain as hard as you can and don't, by any means, accept their first price. It's all a 'game' and you remember that and that the items they sell aren't legitimate.
Address: North of Jiangguomenwai Dajie
Directions: about 1km east of Friendship Store
Metro: Yonganli (line 1)
This large bookstore has a history of nearly 50 years, and it is the preference of many foreigners in Beijing. The bookstore has a great number of books written in English covering literature, history, politics, travel, art and even cooking. Most of them are published by Chinese publishing houses, while there are also some original imported books from foreign countries.
Address: No.235, Wangfujing Dajie, Dongcheng District
Wangfujing Dajie is the most well-known and prosperous business street with modern and fashion trends. Wangfujing Dajie starts at East Chang'an Avenue in the south and ends at the China Art Gallery in the north. This 700-year-old commercial street is 810 meters (0.5 miles) long and 40 meters (43.7 yards) wide. It is the busiest street in Beijing and there are 600,000 people every day come and go in the street and on holidays, the number can rise to 1,200,000. The first famous business zone in Beijing houses a wide variety of shops and boutiques where you find commodities, some of which are of world-famous brands. Apart from that, there are also many time honoured stores with traditional commodities standing in the street for hundreds of years. The street is home to western fast food chains such as Starbucks, McDonalds and KFC plus a branch of the Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant and the Beijing Friendship Store and Beijing Foreign Languages Bookstore.
More Reviews (159)
- See All Silk Street
- Souvenir shops, hotels, restaurants,...
- See All Ming Tomb at Changling
- See All Silk Street
- See All Bus to Chengde
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Beijing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing - Imperial Peking"
- "My wonderful Beijing"
- "Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"
- "Beijing - The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing (北京)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beijing
- Hotels in Beijing
- Transportation in Beijing
- Nightlife in Beijing
- Restaurants in Beijing
- Shopping in Beijing
- Warnings and Dangers in Beijing
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beijing
- 163 Reviews
- 623 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Beijing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beijing
Photos in BeijingSee All Photos (623)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
- Forbidden City - The Palace Museum- 475 Reviews, 998 Photos
- Summer Palace- 310 Reviews, 617 Photos
- Temple of Heaven- 229 Reviews, 504 Photos
- Tiananmen Square- 160 Reviews, 316 Photos
- Great Wall of China - Badaling- 112 Reviews, 246 Photos
- Great Wall of China - Mutianyu- 92 Reviews, 247 Photos
- Beihai Park- 100 Reviews, 180 Photos
- Ming Tombs- 85 Reviews, 205 Photos
- Great Wall of China- 98 Reviews, 143 Photos
- Hutongs- 73 Reviews, 164 Photos
See All Beijing Things to Do