"Mountain Resort of the Emperors" Top 5 Page for this destination Chengde by Willettsworld
Chengde Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 197 photos
In 1703, Chengde, (located approx 150 miles, 250km north-east of Beijing), was chosen by the Kangxi Emperor as the location for his summer residence. Constructed throughout the eighteenth century, the Mountain Resort (known in Chinese as Bishu Shanzhuang, literally "avoiding the heat mountain villa") was used by both the Yongzheng and Qianlong emperors. Since the seat of government followed the emperor, Chengde was a political centre of the Chinese empire during these times. The town of Chengde built up to the south of the Mountain Resort and is a good place to stay overnight. The whole Resort can be divided into four areas: these are the palace area, lakes area, plains area and mountain area. Outside of this are the "Eight Outer Temples" of which Puning Temple with its 22-meter high Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara statue and Putuo Zongcheng Temple, modeled after the Potala Palace of Tibet, are the most famous. Chengde has a different feel to it than other large Chinese towns as it's fairly modern but with plenty of sights.
This small Taoist temple is located just to the west on the other side of the road from the main entrance gate into the... more travel advice
This palace ruin lies to the east of the Main Palace inside the Mountain Resort. It was originally built in 1754 and... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Chengde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mountain Resort - Chengde"
- "Mountain Resort of the Emperors"
- "City of Temples"
- "Chengde: The Mountain Village Retreat From Heat"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chengde
- Hotels in Chengde
- Transportation in Chengde
- Restaurants in Chengde
- Shopping in Chengde
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chengde
- 26 Reviews
- 149 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Chengde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chengde
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues