"City of Eternal Spring" Top 5 Page for this destination Kunming by Willettsworld
Kunming Travel Guide: 607 reviews and 1,438 photos
Kunming is the capital of Yunnan province, tucked right down in the far south-west of the country. Its clement weather and floral wealth have earned it the nickname "City of Eternal Spring" and indeed it was just that when I visited at the beginning of April as the weather was lovely, warm and sunny with cherry blossom in full bloom. The city is fairly modern with large high-rise buildings and only a small amount of old character which can be found in its Muslim quarter. Other highlights of the city include two 13-storey Tang dynasty pagodas, two good museums, a lovely lake park and the very picturesque Yuantong Temple. However, most of the main tourist sites lie outside the city. Of these, Lake Dian is the main focus which is located about 15km (9 miles) south of the city centre and is where you find the Western Hills Scenic Area which is home to two nice temples and other attractions such as a cable car and Dragon Gate. A further two temples, (Golden Temple and Bamboo Temple), lie to the north-east and north-west of the city. I came to the city from Nanning on an overnight train and stayed in the city for a few days before taking a bus to Dali.
Some photos of ceramics found on the upper level of the city museum. more travel advice
The Sutra pillar is inscribed with Buddhist scriptures from the Dizang Temple. It dates from the kingdom of Dali... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Kunming Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kunming - the Spring City in the Southwest"
- "Vigi in KUNMING - Sep2003"
- "Sharrie's Kunming Eternal Spring"
- "City of Eternal Spring"
- "Kunming - The Eternal Spring City"
- "Kunming - the spring city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kunming
- Hotels in Kunming
- Transportation in Kunming
- Nightlife in Kunming
- Restaurants in Kunming
- Shopping in Kunming
- Warnings and Dangers in Kunming
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kunming
- 37 Reviews
- 215 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Kunming?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kunming
Photos in KunmingSee All Photos (215)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues