"World's biggest Buddha" Top 5 Page for this destination Leshan by Willettsworld
Leshan Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 310 photos
Leshan is located about 120km south of Chengdu and is easily reached by bus, which takes about 2 hours. Leshan is famous for one thing - the world's largest Buddha. Known as Dafo, he sits at the confluence of three rivers, namely, Min River, Qingyi River, and Dadu River. His measurements are staggering. He is 71 meters (about 233 feet) high, and has three-meter-long (about 11 feet) fingers. The eight-meter-long (about 27 feet) instep is big enough for one hundred people to sit on and the 28-meter-wide (about 92 feet) shoulder is large enough to be a basketball playground. His large pair of ears, each seven meters (about 23 feet) long, are made of wood and are decorated by mud on the surface. His nose measures 5.6 meters (18 feet). The Giant Buddha is located within a scenic area which includes temples, pavilions, pagodas, caves and gardens with trails running all over the park. All of this makes Leshan a must-see-thing-to-do when in Chengdu and a great day out.
This hall was built in 1909 in the late Qing dynasty and was rebuilt in 1986 with the effort of the monks of the temple.... more travel advice
Relics found from inside the tomb caves are displayed inside a small museum housed within the grounds of the caves. More... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Leshan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World's biggest Buddha"
- "Beyond the Big Buddha"
- "Leshan means 'Happy Mountain'"
- "Sharrie's Leshan Grand Buddha"
- "A city with great buddha and local snacks"
- "Currently see Chengdu (Sichuan sheng, China) page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leshan
- Hotels in Leshan
- Transportation in Leshan
- Restaurants in Leshan
- Warnings and Dangers in Leshan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leshan
- 24 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Leshan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leshan
Photos in LeshanSee All Photos (143)
Top 10 Pages
- Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues